General Chat Chat about all things Blazer (and related vehicles). Off-topic stuff should be in the lounge, and all mechanical problems should be posted in the proper forum.

Blazer owners opinions please!

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2008, 07:18 PM
Beginning Member
n0thing43 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Blazer owners opinions please!

Hello,Blazer ownersI'm here to collect your 2 cents. Here's my story, I'll make it short. If I want I can inherit a 2003 Blazer, 4*4 Ls 4 door. It has 75,000 miles, and hasnt been crashed. The Blazer was was driven by an senior citizen, who drove religiously 5mph under the speed limit. The motor looks clean, as hell, the body is in really nice shape. Oil changes were never kept up with maybe averaging one change per year in the 6 years 75,000 miles. I was told it sounds like a "airplane" at high speeds, but i'll have to test drive it. Im looking for opinions concidering the Year of the Blazer and its past. Honestly im not a GM fan every used GM vehicle I owned screwed me over. But I was wondering if the 2003 Blazer was a pretty reliable year seeing how it was one of the last years it was produced. Or should I expect this thing to nickle and dime me to hell? Opinions Please!
Thank you

Old 12-22-2008, 07:23 PM
BF Guru
rriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: Blazer owners opinions please!

I think this should actually be in the 'Chat' section since it is about Blazers in general.

MOVING TO GENERAL CHAT

Old 12-22-2008, 11:51 PM
Beginning Member
zokalr13 is an unknown quantity at this point

i wouldnt pay $30.000 for one, but if i gota BLAZERGIVEN to me for FREE then what the HEY!!,if you dont like it then sell it or trade up for a KIA or whatever ...i own a mint 96 BLAZER LT and its been awesome[8D]but im very PROACTIVEwith the maintenance so its been good to me so far..old people [X(]take good care of their machines -id buy one off of them before some young guy whos thrashed it off road etc..IMO youve lucked out !![sm=alcoholic.gif]

Old 12-23-2008, 02:03 AM
Starting Member
Kage0113 is an unknown quantity at this point

I also love my 96 Blazer. I have done quite a few repairs, ball joints, today an alternator, brakes. Those were all this year, but I put 12,000 miles on it. Ball joints are repaired more often on these vehicles than others. But, yours would be an '03 as compared to my '96. So I doubt you would have to do too much work to it in the near future. Either way, once these babies are up an running smoothly they are AWESOME!!! Is there something specific you are looking to do with the truck? Or would it just be a daily driver from point A to point B? What are you driving right now? Check the "list of common annoying s-10 blazer quirks" thread in the general chat section. All vehicles have their problems though.

Old 12-23-2008, 02:46 AM
BF Veteran
kiwiblazer is on a distinguished road

An inheritance - TAKE IT, TAKE IT!

If not &it's free send it over to New Zealand.

Oh s**t it's LHD they won't allow it in here. [sm=forgetit.gif]

Old 12-23-2008, 05:56 AM
Beginning Member

Thanks for your info,and opinion. I drive an 04 Ford Ranger 4x4 fully loaded. 4.0 with 4.10's. My wife has a 07 Saturn Vue. We were planning on using the Blazer to haul our 2 retired racing Greyhounds to the park. So The Blazer won't be beat on or offroaded. We're both leaning towards taking it, Now im in the process of collecting info on Blazers figured this would be the right place....Any advice as far as oil goes.. Like I said it has 75,000 easy highway miles, but the oil wasnt changed frequently . I use Mobil 1 fully syn in my Ranger. I was thinking of using Mobile one Fully syn high milage formula in the Blazer. Would there be issues with using fully syn for the first time in a vehicle that has only had conventional oil in it after 75K?

Old 12-23-2008, 05:54 PM
Byte Stryke is an unknown quantity at this point

Ahem....
2003 LS?... God Likes you er something..
You are being repaid for some great, kind and Generous deed.

If you were any Luckier, You'd have a Large cardboard check and your picture in the news....

They are great trucks. I drive a Former fleet owned blazer 2003 LS
Its going to have "Character", accept it.
Its also going to be a great asset.

and as an FYI Every Ford Ive had has died of BS Circumstances.
ie: blew a motor in a 89 Ranger XLT starting it the second day I owned it.
44 miles on it.
Ford claimed I Failed to perform preventive maintenance on it.

Exactly what Preventive maintenance is due between 0 and 44?

Old 12-23-2008, 11:42 PM
quik1964 is an unknown quantity at this point

two words can cover it TAKE IT!!

Old 12-24-2008, 01:54 AM
Starting Member
Kage0113 is an unknown quantity at this point

Do take it if it's free. Running synthetic oil in it wont hurt a bit. It's best though that if you change to syn. now, change it again before 7500 miles is up. The synthetic is going to get rid of all sludge build up from conventional oil, at least that's what I was told when I did it to mine. Also, it'll find any leaks that you may have seeing as how it is much thinner than conventional. But you would be fine running synthetic, and by the sounds of it, I'd do it as soon as possible!!! Once a year oil change is terrible. Needs to be done way more than that.

Old 12-24-2008, 05:47 AM
Beginning Member

Im sure its posted in the forum somewhere but What grade of oil, and how many quarts does the 4.3 V-6 hold? Also I thought I heard that the 4.3 liter is made by Izusu, is this true or is this engine a GM product?

Quick Reply: Blazer owners opinions please!