General Chat Chat about all things Blazer (and related vehicles). Off-topic stuff should be in the lounge, and all mechanical problems should be posted in the proper forum.

Block bell housing sep.

Old 03-18-2008, 06:49 PM
SCOTTY is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Block bell housing sep.

Hi again:
Anybody know how many bolts hold the bell housing to the block on an automatic tranny, 1996 s-10 4.3 vortec? I can't see any up high and can't seem th break them apart??? help help help!!!
Thanks in advance
Scott

Old 03-18-2008, 07:09 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: Block bell housing sep.

Please try to keep your questions to one thread.

On a '96, you have a torque converter cover which will probably have around 4 to 6 bolts (its been awhile) holding it on. Once that is off, you need to remove the bolts (3) holding the torque converter to the flex plate. After that, I believe there are 6 bolts holding the transmission to the engine.

Old 03-19-2008, 06:26 AM

I got the 3 t/c bolts, all the bell housing to block bolts I could see, Not sure what you mean about the 6 t/c cover bolts though, I got to the 3 bolts through the starter hole??
Thanks
Scott

Old 03-19-2008, 10:38 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

You are working on a '96 and not a '98 right... In '98, GM moved to the aluminum oil pan and a full perimeter bolt pattern for the transmission bellhousing as opposed to the ~240 degree bolt pattern that is on the previous design. The bellhousing was also made to be separable from the main transmission case which was previously a single peice case from bellhousing mount to output mount.

There should be a cover that bolts on under the torque converter that wraps around to the other side of the flex plate. Once removed, it would have greatly improved your ability to remove the T/C bolts. If the cover is still on, then it will mostlikely hang up on the back side of the flex plate.

If the cover is off and all of the bolts are out, then you are probably just getting resistance from the dowel pins (one per side). They can sometimes be a pain!

Old 03-19-2008, 12:06 PM

Yes it is a 96, the bell housing has a small sheet metal circular inspection plug that just pops out, and unless it is covered with road/oil messy crap the bell housing looks like one piece, and the oil pan is cast aluminum.

Old 03-19-2008, 12:42 PM
Administrator

Hm.. Somehow your truck has the later pan/bellhousing. I could have sworn it was a mid-97 at earliest phase in for the aluminum pan and 2 peice bellhousing, but I guess it could have been mid-96...

So with that in mind, there are 9 bolts (IIRC) holding the bell housing to the engine/oil pan.

Old 03-20-2008, 10:02 AM

I've been hearing that I need to change the intake manifold because of something different in the injector system. Is this a difference I can notice by looking at it and comparing the two or is it a difference inside??
Scott

Old 03-20-2008, 11:00 AM
xmradioguy is an unknown quantity at this point

My 97 has an aluminum cast oilpan and had 6 bolts for the bellhousing.

Old 03-20-2008, 11:44 AM

that's great news, i am just going to try and pry it apart, probably just stuck on the dowel pins as suggested earlier, because i have all the bolts out i can see, and looking at a block on ebay there are no holes in the upper part of the block
THANKS!!!

Old 03-20-2008, 11:46 AM

the following is information regarding my 2001 4.3 vortekgoing into the spot a 1996 4.3 vortek was. any feedback on this??
Yes you can but it is a little harder then you would hope the emissions controls, electrical and fuel systems are not the same now there are two ways to do that swap one is to get all the other stuff along with the 2001 and swap it too or 2 just swap the intake and exhaust from the 96 the only problem you may run into with that is the transmissions computer controls they may not be the same so if you swap the trans your going to have to use the wire harness and computer from the 2001 also the 2wd and 4wd are not the same either and the axle gearing need to be the same or the computer will have to be re-programed so the trans shifts correctly and the speedo reads right the option sticker in the clove box will give you your best info to see what matches between the two as that will show the gear ratio and trans type you can get an options code book from your dealer to find out what all those funny numbers mean. good luck

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Block bell housing sep.