General Chat Chat about all things Blazer (and related vehicles). Off-topic stuff should be in the lounge, and all mechanical problems should be posted in the proper forum.

Dead People and Dead Batteries

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2007, 11:37 PM
BF Guru
rriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Dead People and Dead Batteries

Went to a viewing this evening for my neighbor's dad who passed away Monday and when I came out, the Blazer's battery was dead, too! Sat in 95 degree heat for 45 minutes waiting for my free roadside help to come jump start me and while I sat there with no starting power, the gauges' needles kept moving, something under the dash kept trying to cycle, and if Idid tryto start it, the tailgate glass would pop open! This was all just a little bit creepy, sitting outside a funeral home at sunset. Anyway, after I got started, I went to AutoZone and got their Duralast Gold (the 8 year warranty one). I think the truck had the original battery in it because it was a Delco with a quilted wrap-around box on it. Needless to say, that piece of garbage got tossed since it's heat that kills a battery, not cold. All in all, a very lousy evening.[:@]

Old 08-23-2007, 11:43 PM
Taymacjack is an unknown quantity at this point
Default RE: Dead People and Dead Batteries

Dead batteries always suck.I have a similar story, exept it was cold that killed my battery. I drove way up into the mountains and then we had snow and then sleet. It killed my selanoid. Duralast gold huh? I only baught the 2 year warranty.

Old 08-23-2007, 11:46 PM
BF Guru
rriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah, I've always believed in getting the battery with the most cold cranking amps and reserve life that will fit your application.

Old 08-23-2007, 11:54 PM

yeah. looking back on it i wish i would have done the same. Im always running my battery down and barely getting started. Sounds good though, you wont have to worry about a battery for a long time.

Old 08-23-2007, 11:58 PM
BF Veteran
EuroGoldLS is on a distinguished road

My old Delco Batterywas fading onme, and whenI went to get a new one,I changed it there in the parking lot. Well, I get back in, the fuel gauge was pointing almost strait down, and the speedo is on 100, sitting still. I still don't know what caused it unless it was a bad ground connection.

Old 08-24-2007, 12:03 AM
BF Guru

That made me remember back years and years and...never mind that...in my 1/4 mile days with the RoadRunner. I made a run and when I got back, the gas gauge showed more than before the run. I figured, what the heck, make a few more passes and fill 'er up! Didn't quite work out, though.

Back to the original story in this thread -- I just remembered, while I was waiting outside the funeral home for the jump, I saw that one of my tires had a nail in it. Hope it holds 'til tomorrow when I can get to Discount Tire. All in all, not a good evening.

Old 08-24-2007, 01:36 AM

lol just one of those days...

Old 08-24-2007, 01:40 AM
lennyblazer is on a distinguished road

That sucks, I got stuck on my Scooter cause the battery died on me, and I had no kick start only electric, that day had me wishing I had my old scooter back. Oh and for those who don't know the scooter I am talking about is an Aprilia SR50Ditech, looks like this:

Old 08-25-2007, 12:45 AM
BF Veteran
Chevy Lover has a spectacular aura aboutChevy Lover has a spectacular aura aboutChevy Lover has a spectacular aura about

Creepy subject title dude.
I don'ttake chances withdead batteries, I have new Delco batteries in all my Blazers with 730 cold cranking amps ratings. In my boat I have 2 new heavy duty deep cycle batteries, one for running the motor and one for the accessories.

Old 08-26-2007, 02:39 AM
BF Veteran
drperry is a jewel in the roughdrperry is a jewel in the roughdrperry is a jewel in the rough

I've still got the factory battery in my Blazer, but for my Lumina, I shoved in the biggest battery that fit... Something like 700CCA's with 125 minute reserve...

My '85 S10, when I got it, had the factory battery... worked great until I put in a stereo that actually had a memory... It came with the factory AM/FM radio... That's how I found, that as long as that motor could turn, it could start... even if it's only at like 5 RPM...

I gave it a 900 CCA battery with 125 minute reserve...

My Blazer is probably gonna get the same thing...

Then again, most of Canada needs at least 600CCA for a V6... In the winter, anyway...

Quick Reply: Dead People and Dead Batteries