General Chat Chat about all things Blazer (and related vehicles). Off-topic stuff should be in the lounge, and all mechanical problems should be posted in the proper forum.

Do tires loose traction in snow as they wear down?

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2008, 07:09 AM
Starting Member
kmartin is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Do tires loose traction in snow as they wear down?

I have tires that have tread worn down but not at the tire wear mark yet, but close. I am wondering if that will take me through the winter or I should replace them before the winter?

Old 10-02-2008, 09:37 AM
bobditts is an unknown quantity at this point
Default RE: Do tires loose traction in snow as they wear down?

The key to traction in the snow is surface area. The less surface area your tires have, the better traction in the snow you will get. As tires wear down, they gain surface area. So yes, they will lose their traction ability. If you are unsure if you need tires replaced or not before winter, get the opinions of unbias professionals. Take a pic and post it here. compare the tread depth to a coin.

Old 10-02-2008, 09:56 AM
bad350v8s10tahoe is an unknown quantity at this point

The real key to snow traction is aggressive tread design and lots of tread too, a mud tire will get better traction than a all season or all terrain tire. Thats why they are rated mud and snow

Old 10-02-2008, 03:18 PM
bobditts is an unknown quantity at this point

skinny tires are much better than wide tires also.

Old 10-02-2008, 05:29 PM
BF Veteran
WolfPack has a spectacular aura aboutWolfPack has a spectacular aura aboutWolfPack has a spectacular aura about

Yea...Mud tires are only good to an extent. The idea of less surface area is that you get more pressure per square inch into the snow/ice for better grip. If it's deep snow...no tires going to really do well...it's more about the driver then

Then again...if it's mostly ice that you're worried about...an MT is going to be real bad. You want lots of biting edges, like an aggressive A/T or a siped M/T.

Edit: I'll bow to personal experience though...Not much snow in NC...and when we do have it, it's pretty compact and light. A/Ts are fine for me

Old 10-02-2008, 06:16 PM
Starting Member
Kage0113 is an unknown quantity at this point

I live in Wyoming and we get s*** loads of snow here. I really suggest getting them replaced asap. It's going to be a lot safer. The down side though is that tires are really expensive now. I've heard the same thing about Mud/Snow tires being crappy on ice. But either way, ice will get you in trouble. I don't know about what tires to buy, but just get them replaced, that's what I'm sure of. You want something that will get you a little grip, and balding tires aren't gonna help.

Old 10-04-2008, 04:21 PM
Starting Member
kmartin is an unknown quantity at this point

Right now, I have the Goodyear Wrangler RTS on my vehicle. I like to replace with something that will not make my fuel ecomony worse, but not loose traction. I saw the Wrangler Silent Armor is little more aggressive, but will that reduce my mpg. What tires do you like on your Blazers?