General Chat Chat about all things Blazer (and related vehicles). Off-topic stuff should be in the lounge, and all mechanical problems should be posted in the proper forum.

educate me please what s10 to buy

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2015, 12:04 PM
Starting Member
don james is on a distinguished road
Question educate me please what s10 to buy

I haven't been on this forum for a while,.........at that time i was trying to find out what tranny i needed to tow four down behind my motorhome.....I gave up.....

Now i would just like to find a nice used driver so i can keep my impala in the garage and out of the snow....

This question might be unanswerable but:

I would like to know if there are any s10's that i definitely need to stay away from .........i will do research as i go, but i am starting to look at all that seem not to be junk............I found one that a guy had 375k on the meter.....he said that he couldn't wear it out, and just got tired of it

I've seen all different years with many many miles........people seem to like them and keep them......

I had a 76 blazer for years.......i built a 402 big block for it .........I've been sorry that i sold it from the first day.......

Thanks for any insight

Old 12-23-2015, 12:18 PM
BF Veteran
newguy will become famous soon enoughnewguy will become famous soon enough

I`ve had both, an s10 and zr2 blazer. Like the zr2 better, comes stock with high rider package. 31 inch tires, most have limited slip differentials. Problems wise seems to be luck of the draw, some have lots of problems some dont. I`ve gotten lucky with both of mine

Old 12-23-2015, 12:21 PM
Starting Member
dragoon1101 is on a distinguished road

I would look for 2000+ with no more then 130k on the speedo most blazers have the same problems and there are some things you want to do to it before you turn it into you daily driver most can be found on this site it also depends on what u want a p/u or a blazer ( 2dr, 4dr?)

Old 12-23-2015, 02:06 PM
Starting Member

Ok, thanks.........I won't do any hard 4-wheelin anymore.......and would prefer 4 door..........I'm just getting old I guess....

2000 plus......ok i will start there.....unless i find an older one.......with 40k......;-]

Old 12-23-2015, 08:58 PM
Captain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the rough

You'll get opinions all over the board on this one 40+ years experience working on them, and currently owning 2 Blazers, here are some unique things that I have found:
No easy way to say it, 1995 is a nightmare. The major downfall is that it could have one of 3 different engine computer controls and 2 different fuel injection systems. Olds did not produce the Bravada in 1995 due to so many issues with the S&T platform, avoid it. 96 & 97 each had 4 oxygen sensors, (expensive and unnecessary IMO). On going troubles with ignition switches and electrical issues. 1998 was the first year using a BCM, which eliminated many problems. 4 wheel disc brakes were standard, (good idea). Only two catalytic converters, and 3 oxygen sensors, (cheaper). 99 through 02 had 3 converters, (expensive) and secondary air injection, lotta problems with that system. 2003 through 2005 has the upgraded injection system, roller valve lifters, and no EGR valve. Kind of a dog due to no EGR, but the driveability bugs are finally worked out. As for mileage, 2WD will get the best fuel mileage. NV233, (RPO NP1) 3 button, 2 speed selectable transfer case, will get better mileage than the NV236, (NP5) 4 button Auto 4WD system. The choice for axle ratios is basically 3.42:1 (GU6) and 3.73:1 (GT4). Obviously the 3.42 will get better mileage. RPO code G80 is a limited slip differential option, and it will consume more fuel than the standard, "unlimited slip" differential Just my 2 cents

Last edited by Captain Hook; 12-23-2015 at 09:06 PM.
Old 12-24-2015, 08:49 AM
Starting Member

Thanks a lot Captain,.......just what i needed.....I know that all of the makers have been making a lot of changes over the last 20 years or so, from bad to very good.

I bought a 2013 impala with the 3.6 DI engine......300+ horses,[that is incredible for a v6 family car!].......the tranny is a 6 speed made jointly by ford and chevy [that may be a first??]
so far, i love the car.........and i hope the DI engines stand the test..

I am in no hurry to find a little blazer, so i can be very selective, it looks like the general consensuses is 1999 and up to when the body changed, [?]...........

thanks again,...........great forum you have here........

Old 12-24-2015, 09:39 AM
Captain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the rough

In my opinion, the best choices are: 1998, and then 2003 through 2005. NP1 transfer case, and a GU6 axle, without the G80 option. Also, automatic climate control is prone to problems, and it can be tricky & expensive to diagnose & repair, (stick with the basic HVAC system). 2 door models like to rust out in front of the rear wheels. Rocker panels like to rust out on 4 door models. Both of those problems are easily avoidable if taken care of before the rust starts. Other than that, they all have the common problems. Definitely be worthwhile searching in the South for a rust free vehicle, there are still a bunch of good ones out there. Be patient with your search, and good luck.

Old 12-24-2015, 10:41 AM
Starting Member

Ok, thanks again........i live in south central colorado, small town, we don't have a lot of rust problems......unless of course the country road mud never gets washed off....

I can still work on these cars, but i am 67 and it's just not as easy for me to do much, so i will look for something that grandpa bought new :-).........

I have a 94 silverado with 140k.........The hardest job on that was the fuel pump......i crawled under it and started to take the tank off and filled my eyes full of dirt and tightened the bolt back up.......I then got my little grinder out and cut a hole in the bed......easy.....then just tacked the flap back in.....

.........i'll keep searching and come back with some pics......

Old 12-24-2015, 10:08 PM
BF Veteran
AJBert is a jewel in the roughAJBert is a jewel in the roughAJBert is a jewel in the rough

Living in CO I would definitely look for one with the G80. Comes in mighty handy, providing it still works, when you need it. Nothing worse than one wheel spinning in just a bit of snow.

Old 12-25-2015, 08:31 AM
Starting Member

I've opened up a new can of worms.....bravada.........i've found this one

https://pueblo.craigslist.org/cto/5352614369.html

200k miles and under blue book [they are asking 2000]...........but looks well kept.......i suspect a commuter, it is located 40 miles each way between two cities......I'm not in any hurry to buy, but shopping keeps me occupied until spring time :-)

I find that the engine has changed......and the awd..........

I'm not at ALL familiar with this setup

opinions???

Quick Reply: educate me please what s10 to buy