General Chat Chat about all things Blazer (and related vehicles). Off-topic stuff should be in the lounge, and all mechanical problems should be posted in the proper forum.

ethanol

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2013, 09:28 PM
BF Veteran
newguy will become famous soon enoughnewguy will become famous soon enough
Default ethanol

The Cons of Buying an E85 Ethanol Vehicle
Added expense and reduced convenience are the primary drawbacks of driving a flex-fuel vehicle on E85 ethanol, and you also may feel limited in the variety of vehicle types available to you. Here are some of the negatives you need to consider if you're thinking of buying an E85 ethanol vehicle:

Fuel Efficiency

In the expense category, E85 ethanol users need to buy more fuel and fill up more often than they would using 100 percent gasoline. That's because E85 ethanol fuel contains less combustible energy as gasoline per unit of volume.

Overall, using E85 reduces fuel economy by about 20 percent. In other words, a tank of E85 ethanol will take you only about 80 percent as far as a tank of conventional gasoline. Running on conventional gas, the V6 Chevy Impala, for example, is rated at 21 mpg city/31 highway. Running on E85, the same Impala is rated at 15 mpg city/22 highway.

Not only will you consume more fuel using E85 ethanol, you may pay more per gallon. Rising demand, limited supply, and extra costs associated with the transportation of E85 all play a role in its pump price. The EPA in November listed the average price for a gallon of E85 ethanol nationally at $2.41, compared to $2.23 per gallon for regular-grade gasoline. However, some Midwest service stations were pricing E85 ethanol as much as 30 cents per gallon below regular-grade gas.

Old 06-07-2013, 10:49 PM
BF Veteran
richphotos has a spectacular aura aboutrichphotos has a spectacular aura aboutrichphotos has a spectacular aura about

Not to mention that it is harder on the engine, which equals more repairs, whether the car was "built" for it or not (if not, its much much worse) but either way, its just bad.. and on top of that, since they started doing that, it has raised the prices of food, since some feed for animals that we eat has gone to ethanol. that raises the prices because they have to pay more ect.

Old 06-07-2013, 11:12 PM
Twip will become famous soon enough

out here in California E85 is much cheaper than regular gas. at times, almost a whole dollar. but other than that, i feel that you are only looking at the down side to E85.... you do get reduced economy, that almost goes without saying, but did you know that you actually make more power on E85? you may lose about 20% of your MPG but you also gain 10-20% more horsepower and torque. so if you look at it from my point-of-view, when you are towing, its completely worth using. you are already getting worse mileage because you are towing, but if you could get the same terrible mileage and have more power to climb hills and everything else, why not?!?

just my .02

Old 06-08-2013, 01:20 AM
BF Veteran
richphotos has a spectacular aura aboutrichphotos has a spectacular aura aboutrichphotos has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by Twip
out here in California E85 is much cheaper than regular gas. at times, almost a whole dollar. but other than that, i feel that you are only looking at the down side to E85.... you do get reduced economy, that almost goes without saying, but did you know that you actually make more power on E85? you may lose about 20% of your MPG but you also gain 10-20% more horsepower and torque. so if you look at it from my point-of-view, when you are towing, its completely worth using. you are already getting worse mileage because you are towing, but if you could get the same terrible mileage and have more power to climb hills and everything else, why not?!?

just my .02
lose 20%mpg on a stock engine and gain HP, take that 20% mpg hit, and put it to a small block... lets say, you will get more HP, more torque, and about the same MPG if not better than you would from just using a engine that is setup to use ethanol, and in the end, you will save money.

I am honestly blown away how cali has a cheaper price on E85 since most of it comes from the midwest. You would think, that it would be the other way around.
but that being said, the only benefits of using it, is if the motor was designed for it, you put it in a engine that was made for unleaded... you are in a world fullll of problems.

Old 06-08-2013, 04:49 AM
BF Veteran

Ethanol has crapped up all my gas powered yard stuff. gunked up the carbs so much that I had to rebuild them .deteriorated the fuel lines. We have to put stabyl in the gas cans here if you are going to keep it for more than a month.

Old 06-08-2013, 07:08 AM
rexazz2 will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by newguy
Ethanol has crapped up all my gas powered yard stuff. gunked up the carbs so much that I had to rebuild them .deteriorated the fuel lines. We have to put stabyl in the gas cans here if you are going to keep it for more than a month.
Talked to the guy at Honda small engines dealer
He said the majority of run issues for them all goes back to bad gas /ethanol
I mix in Sea Foam fuel treatment to all my fuels for small engines even the premix fuels
if its 40:1 its 40:1:1
Never an issue

My neighbor has a fairly new Toro mower and has lots of issues getting it started
After a $100 service to drain the fuel and put in a new spark plug he now is also a Sea Foam believer
The cincher for him was leaving the mower all winter with treated fuel in it and it started in the spring without issue

My motorcycle gets a healthy dose before storage and run to make sure its in the carbs
I have my Motorcycle buddies all hooked on it for winter storage
They cant believe how well the bikes start up in the spring

At on time here in Ontario you could avoid ethanol blended fuel by buying premium
I am told it all now has 10% blended regardless ,thanks Big Brother

Old 06-08-2013, 10:07 AM
1sttimejimmyowner is on a distinguished road

Not all true about not being able to buy ethanol from fuel in Canada.I have motorcycle aquintances that live across the bluewater bridge in ontario and they can stil buy regular ethanol free gas as long as its premium.Here in the staes if you live near by large boat marinas you can get ethanol free gas.Im going to go buy some today.

Old 06-08-2013, 05:46 PM
rexazz2 will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by 1sttimejimmyowner
Not all true about not being able to buy ethanol from fuel in Canada.I have motorcycle aquintances that live across the bluewater bridge in ontario and they can stil buy regular ethanol free gas as long as its premium.Here in the staes if you live near by large boat marinas you can get ethanol free gas.Im going to go buy some today.
in Ontario it supposed to be 5% unless sold in the north
the toro dealer told the neighbor to use Esso premium because it was ethanol free
He still had issues

Ethanol-free gas stations in the U.S. and Canada

Old 06-09-2013, 01:17 PM
okiedoak20 will become famous soon enoughokiedoak20 will become famous soon enough

Over all its a bad move and our wonderfull leader of this wonderfull nation is trying to shove this crap down our throat. Just like a overpriced health bill. Just dont put E85 in a non E85 vehichle. Oh on a brighter note the Govt. Wants to increase the Ethonal percentages still higher

Old 06-09-2013, 01:39 PM
BF Veteran

Also because its made from corn, farmers are growing crap corn because they make more money from it. Which raises the price of edible corn

Quick Reply: ethanol