General Chat Chat about all things Blazer (and related vehicles). Off-topic stuff should be in the lounge, and all mechanical problems should be posted in the proper forum.

extend coolant gauge wire?

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2012, 03:48 PM
Starting Member
jackdough is an unknown quantity at this point
Default extend coolant gauge wire?

anyone ever extend the wire on an aftermarket mechanical coolant gauge? the one i have is a probe that threads in, but i need more length out of the wire. i skinned the wire and its a solid single wire.just wondering if i can marret another piece of wire in there or not(electrical dummy). its actually for my sled, but this seems to be the only site i ever get a response on. thanks

Old 01-18-2012, 05:37 PM
BF Veteran
Rottidog has a spectacular aura aboutRottidog has a spectacular aura about

Well if it's an electrical circuit then why not? Just be sure to use the same gauge of wire & I wouldn't use a marette. I'd use butt connectors & cut the wire in the middle, away from the connections so you don't muck them up & use the waterproof heat shrink tubing over the butt connectors.

Old 01-19-2012, 03:58 PM
BF Veteran
pettyfog has a spectacular aura aboutpettyfog has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by Rottidog
Well if it's an electrical circuit then why not? Just be sure to use the same gauge of wire & I wouldn't use a marette. I'd use butt connectors & cut the wire in the middle, away from the connections so you don't muck them up & use the waterproof heat shrink tubing over the butt connectors.
Well.. here goes putting my opinion in and making a ruckus:

I dont know what a 'marette' or marret is.. assume OP meant 'marry'....
Yes, and like Rotti sez, same ga or heavier.
But I DONT recommend butt connectors ANYWHERE automotive UNLESS you have the proper crimp tool; .. That does not mean that do-it-all one with the yellow handles
And butt connectors do not work at all well with single strand {solid} conductors. And btw.. what auto aftermarket provider would use solid wire?!!!! Dont think I've ever seen that.

They work pretty good for fine stranded wire, like appliance cording, IF properly sized so the stripped part just fits in the barrel.
But, if you must.. then to do a good job you should use the uninsulated crimp section, which will not make for a short because you should cover it anyway.
If you DONT have the proper tool, you are far better off using a wire-nut... filled with silicone grease prior to joining wires.

Old 01-19-2012, 04:55 PM
BF Veteran

Yeah I re-thought afterwards & soldering it & using waterproof heat shrink tubing over it afterwards would be a better idea. The reasoning is it'll be a cleaner connection, not as clunky is all.
As for a wire nut, here's a marette err a wire nut I mean. This is what you have in mind pettyfog?

Attached Thumbnails extend coolant gauge wire?-marette.jpg  

Last edited by Rottidog; 01-19-2012 at 04:57 PM.
Old 01-19-2012, 09:29 PM
Starting Member

turns out its not a good idea to cut the wire. apparently the wire doesn't carry current it must work on pressure or murcury or something. warm the sled right up and the gauge doesn't move. that wire nut is what i know as a marette, that's what i used and i guess i just ruined a perfectly good gauge lol.

Old 01-19-2012, 09:35 PM
BF Veteran

Omg man, that was a cap tube. A capillary tube that does use pressure to move the gauge. It's FUBAR now! pettyfog was right in his curiosity about "a solid wire"?
No offense but when you said (electrical dummy) we should have paid closer attention. That is a copper tube, not a solid wire.

Old 01-20-2012, 09:30 AM
BF Veteran
pettyfog has a spectacular aura aboutpettyfog has a spectacular aura about

Oooops!

I'll never forget first time I ever cut one of those. I was about 7 and dad had an 'old' {ten years back then was old.} International 2 ton out back. I was getting wire for some project or another and cut the temp gauge tube, not knowing anything about that stuff.
I think the bulb was filled with ammonia or something even worse. Gaaack! Thought I was gonna die.

Last edited by pettyfog; 01-21-2012 at 12:55 PM.
Old 01-21-2012, 10:14 AM
Starting Member

lol live and learn i guess.good thing it was just a cheap $20 gauge. ill have to find a longer one. thanks guys.