General Chat Chat about all things Blazer (and related vehicles). Off-topic stuff should be in the lounge, and all mechanical problems should be posted in the proper forum.

G80 Locker. any good?

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2010, 04:58 PM
Beginning Member
Drewjharper1900 is on a distinguished road
Default G80 Locker. any good?

Im lookin to get a zr2 and ive read that the G80 lockers are crap. Just wondering if anyone has had any experences(good or bad) with the G80.

Old 11-29-2010, 06:00 PM
BF Veteran
Benedict1337 will become famous soon enough

g80's can not engage once they get older... but I'd rather have a g80 than an open diff. plus I think the g80 in the zr2's are better since the rear axles on zr2's are 8.25 inch instead of the regular blazers with the 7.65 inch. but if you were looking for a more reliable locker you could always get a detriot...

Old 11-29-2010, 06:44 PM
Beginning Member

Yeah any locker is better than nothing! haha i might upgrade it eventually if it gives me problems. Thanks for the response!

Old 11-29-2010, 07:40 PM
Phil is on a distinguished road

If you get it and it fails just get a locking differential and make 90% of us envious

Old 11-29-2010, 07:56 PM
Beginning Member

Haha i got big plans. May take a few years but i plan on doin alot to it. First on the list is actually getting the zr2! Lmao

Last edited by Drewjharper1900; 11-29-2010 at 07:56 PM. Reason: typo
Old 11-29-2010, 07:56 PM
BF Veteran
abig84 will become famous soon enoughabig84 will become famous soon enough

i think ive had about 5 of them total. the one in my 14bolt now is the only one i had that isnt broken. all the other ones were parts trucks or whatever and upon inspection of the axles they were always broke one way or another

Old 11-29-2010, 08:34 PM
ImScrewed92 is an unknown quantity at this point

I almost got one when I switched ring and pinion sets but it wasn't the right one for my axle. In what I've researched they are decent units. But they do have parts that wear and they do fail after years of use. They fail quicker if abused. Sudden locking of the unit when under high torque can shatter the unit and cause damage to alot of diffrent parts.

My buddies truck had a G80 grenade on him. But this truck (94 K1500 fullsize pickup with a vortec TBI 4.3L) had been abused. Had 35x12.50 tires with factory high gearing. I think it was 3.23 or something like that, manual trans. Caked mud underneath it. Used alot as a farm truck. So it had been abused before it failed. Replaced the gear set with a 4.56 ratio and a full time locker and he loves it.

Just as a suggestion, if you end up not getting the eaton G80 unit. I've been looking at the Detroit Trutrac locker. It's a posi like the G80, but it's a helical design so it doesn't have swinging weights or other wearable and prone to failure parts. Claims to need no maintaince, runs around $389. Just a thought.

Last edited by ImScrewed92; 11-29-2010 at 08:37 PM.
Old 11-29-2010, 08:39 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

For the majority of people, the G80 works and works well. If you get into serious offroading or just do stupid stuff, you can break them, but the same thing goes for other differentials.

If I need to replace the G80 in my Tahoe, I will be putting in an Detroit Truetrac. That truck will never be a dedicated offroad vehicle so I won't be going with a true locker. The K5 will get Detroit lockers front and rear at some point (once I find a D60 for the front).

Old 11-29-2010, 09:15 PM
Beginning Member

Originally Posted by ImScrewed92
I almost got one when I switched ring and pinion sets but it wasn't the right one for my axle. In what I've researched they are decent units. But they do have parts that wear and they do fail after years of use. They fail quicker if abused. Sudden locking of the unit when under high torque can shatter the unit and cause damage to alot of diffrent parts.

My buddies truck had a G80 grenade on him. But this truck (94 K1500 fullsize pickup with a vortec TBI 4.3L) had been abused. Had 35x12.50 tires with factory high gearing. I think it was 3.23 or something like that, manual trans. Caked mud underneath it. Used alot as a farm truck. So it had been abused before it failed. Replaced the gear set with a 4.56 ratio and a full time locker and he loves it.

Just as a suggestion, if you end up not getting the eaton G80 unit. I've been looking at the Detroit Trutrac locker. It's a posi like the G80, but it's a helical design so it doesn't have swinging weights or other wearable and prone to failure parts. Claims to need no maintaince, runs around $389. Just a thought.
Originally Posted by swartlkk
For the majority of people, the G80 works and works well. If you get into serious offroading or just do stupid stuff, you can break them, but the same thing goes for other differentials.

If I need to replace the G80 in my Tahoe, I will be putting in an Detroit Truetrac. That truck will never be a dedicated offroad vehicle so I won't be going with a true locker. The K5 will get Detroit lockers front and rear at some point (once I find a D60 for the front).

This answers my question perfectly. I wont be doing any Serous offroading, just weekend trips and small stuff like that so the G80 seams like it will work just fine. And if it breaks, ill just replace it with a Detroit! Haha

Old 12-01-2010, 07:07 AM
bigkhans is on a distinguished road

Mine is working good so far. I never would have known what it was if I hadn't read about it here on the forum.

Quick Reply: G80 Locker. any good?