General Chat Chat about all things Blazer (and related vehicles). Off-topic stuff should be in the lounge, and all mechanical problems should be posted in the proper forum.

Gauge Pod

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2008, 04:58 PM
canadianS15 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Gauge Pod

I have a 1998 Blazer and it only has the speedometer with the 4 small gauges(gas, oil press., volt meter, engine temp.) instead of one with the RPM gauge included. Is it possible to take it out and put one with the RPM gauge in its place with a direct switch or would some modification have to be done. I am not sure if the one with the RPM gauge is bigger or not which is why I was wondering.

Old 01-16-2008, 05:06 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: Gauge Pod

I believe they are plug-n-play, but there may be some programming involved for the mileage and communication.

Old 01-21-2008, 08:33 AM
canadianS15 is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks! I'll look into it right away and hopefully get some pictures up if I do get it done, as well as instructions on everything.

Old 01-21-2008, 01:04 PM
lennyblazer is on a distinguished road

The entire cluster should be the same size, but I am not sure if they would be plug and playable or not. i would have to think that there is a function somewhere that controls the tachometer and I am not sure if that would be built into blazers that dont have the tach.

Old 01-21-2008, 03:24 PM
ltown21 is an unknown quantity at this point

same boat as you, looking to do that but my big question is about the odometer. Does it recieve the milage from the computer or is it stored in the cluster itself?

Old 01-21-2008, 11:17 PM
dimmuborgir6nik6 is an unknown quantity at this point

If you find a gauge cluster that has a tach gauge tell me where you find it. I hate the big ugly speedometer. I was considering putting a gauge pod on my a-pillar though. I think it would look pretty cool.

Old 01-21-2008, 11:20 PM
cliro is an unknown quantity at this point

mileage would be stored in the computer I would imagine.

Old 01-21-2008, 11:30 PM
lennyblazer is on a distinguished road

I believe the mileage is actually stored in the cluster,as you can buy clusters on ebay that have certain mileage on them. So from that I would say the mileage is stored on the cluster so you would have to take into account that, especially if you ever plan on selling the car.

Old 01-22-2008, 03:46 AM
BF Veteran
drperry is a jewel in the roughdrperry is a jewel in the roughdrperry is a jewel in the rough

Mileage is stored in the cluster, yes.

As long as you mark down the original vehicles mileage, and the new clusters mileage, there won't be any issues if you ever sell it...

GM usually has all the wiring in place for all the different models... But you might need to get something activated in the computer... Not likely, though.

If all else fails, there's after market tach signal devices.

Old 01-22-2008, 04:43 AM
BF Veteran
thegr81 is on a distinguished road

Some of the digital readout clusters have there info stored in the computer, to were you can get a new cluster if needed and then go to the dealership for them to do a download into the new cluster itself!!

Quick Reply: Gauge Pod