General Chat Chat about all things Blazer (and related vehicles). Off-topic stuff should be in the lounge, and all mechanical problems should be posted in the proper forum.

Getting rid of spare tire carrier question

Old 06-03-2009, 09:28 AM
demon5spd is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Getting rid of spare tire carrier question

Ok so i'm getting rid of my rear mounted spare tire carrier and moving the tire to the inside.

The question i have is does anybody have pics of what the back looks like after removing the spare tire carrier and also what people did with the screw holes that were left behind after removing it? I know there will be the screw holes left but wondering what the paint will look like underneath the plate.

I'm really hoping it doesnt look bad when i remove the mount pieces but just wanting some info from people here that have done it before.

Oh the vehicle i have is a 2001 black 2dr 4x4 LS if it helps.

Old 06-03-2009, 09:49 AM
BF Veteran
oktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant future

I know when my dad pulled the spare mount off of our 99 the paint was in reasonably good shape. Just a little buffing and no touch up. This was in 2003-ish before we sold the truck a few months later so the truck had seen lots of road salt during the winters.

We didn't do anything with the screw holes except put the bolts back in with a rubber gromet to keep the water out. Didn't bother sealing them up since we knew we'd be putting the spare back on when we sold it.

Old 06-03-2009, 10:00 AM
BF Veteran
Sisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant future

If you decide to fill the holes you're going to have to paint both the back door and the side quarter panel to cover over your body fill, so it wouldn't matter what the paint is like underneath..

Old 06-14-2009, 10:49 AM
xmradioguy is an unknown quantity at this point

I took mine off welded all the holes and relocated my spare to the shed in my backyard.

Old 06-14-2009, 12:48 PM
BF Veteran
Sisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by xmradioguy
I took mine off welded all the holes and relocated my spare to the shed in my backyard.
Again...you're going to have to paint the welded spots, so the paint underneath the carrier and latch is irrelevant.

Old 06-14-2009, 12:53 PM
bandidolenny is on a distinguished road

LOL... and here I am wanting to put an outside swing away tire carrier on my four door. The grass is always greener on the other side...lol

Old 06-14-2009, 03:40 PM
BF Veteran
kiwiblazer is on a distinguished road

And to think we have 4 door Blazers here with & without it.

Old 06-14-2009, 06:08 PM
NVANZEE will become famous soon enough

i thought about taking mine off since the sides are caved in around the mounts from the previous owner. but i dont have anywhere to put is so im gonna have to leave it. Its funny that the people who have em, dont like them and the people who dont, want them

Old 07-06-2009, 06:39 PM
Beginning Member
camaro355 is on a distinguished road

if anyone has an oem tire carrier for 95-04 blazer and wants to sell it I would love to hear from ya