General Chat Chat about all things Blazer (and related vehicles). Off-topic stuff should be in the lounge, and all mechanical problems should be posted in the proper forum.

How long should I warm up my truck?

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2008, 10:07 PM
Starting Member
Kage0113 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default How long should I warm up my truck?

It is FREEZING here in Wyoming. I went out this morning to start my truck and the thermometer said a whopping 9 degrees F. I went out again later around 630pm and it was -4F. So how long should I let my truck warm up for? I've heard anything between 30 seconds to 2 minutes. But I figure the longer it sits, the more gas I waste. I don't want to run a freezing engine.

Old 12-04-2008, 10:30 PM
Starting Member
Bigringtravis is on a distinguished road
Default RE: How long should I warm up my truck?

I was always told 4 minutes below freezing(Retired FoMoCo and Mercedes mechanic 2 different times.) And NEVER to rev a cold engine period.

Old 12-05-2008, 12:02 AM
Beginning Member
zokalr13 is an unknown quantity at this point

You dont have your BLAZER in a heated garage??[gasp]-im up in the GREAT WHITE NORTH and we have winters[sometimes]we usually worry more if we have a coffee than if our truck is warm..its just a vehicle..start it up ,let it idle a few, drive away...have synthetic oil and all your mechanical/specs up to spec,i.e,tune-up,windshield washerfluid,anti-freeze,snow tires on all wheels,block heater,shovel,gas line anti-freeze, cardboard stuck over radiator,sand bags,also have a good scraper and you'll be fine...i ride motorcycles mainly so i HATE winter!![X(] oh, ive talked to some poor devils who live even farther NORTH than me [im close to WASHINGTON STATE border BTW]that have to keep their motors running 24/7 or they justwont start and the tires freeze [SQUARE] so they go CLOP CLOP ..they need remote starters so they dont have to venture outside to start the vehicle and risk frostbite or attacks by roving packs of hungry wolverines...... if you dont believe this go ask a fellow from ALASKA- its freekin TRUE......[sm=americanasmiley.gif]

Old 12-05-2008, 12:35 AM
Starting Member
Kage0113 is an unknown quantity at this point

Do block heaters com standard on Blazers? Is the plug somewhere under my hood? If so...where?! That would be great cause it's freezing cold right now.

Old 12-05-2008, 12:42 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

No, block heaters are not standard equipment.

Old 12-05-2008, 06:21 AM
salvy is an unknown quantity at this point

You can get a dipstick heater, this will do keep the oil nice and warm, easier to circulate, plus it will keep the engine warm (to a point). They are available at a good auto parts store (eg. napa) and they come in different temp ranges.

Old 12-05-2008, 06:37 AM
NVANZEE will become famous soon enough

block heaters were an option though. If you have one it should be by the fuse block under the hood. They are very nice to have.

Old 12-05-2008, 04:14 PM
Starting Member
Brianator99 is an unknown quantity at this point

Their not oo expensive to put in, but our winters dont get bad anough to matter

My 04 stang has a block heater. Weird huh?
It's parked every winter soI guess its useless. Looks likeI have a plug in electric car though.