General Chat Chat about all things Blazer (and related vehicles). Off-topic stuff should be in the lounge, and all mechanical problems should be posted in the proper forum.

Hydra Thread.... multi headed question

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2009, 09:20 PM
BF Veteran
wlorton has a spectacular aura aboutwlorton has a spectacular aura about
Default Hydra Thread.... multi headed question

1. I know what I want for my blazer...CAI... new exhaust... body lift.... and some exterior mods like brushguard and lights etc....

What would be the BEST thing to put on first? I was seriously considering the CAI since it should increase mpg a little bit and I drive about 200 miles a weekend going from school to the gf's house....

Which CAI is the best for the money? I found a K&N for 250ish... but some are cheaper...

2. Where can I find a damn brushguard that is not slanted or weird looking?? I have seen some on the forums.... I saw one today... I like the boxy kinds where its less rounded....

3.People with experience... what is the Mod you wish you never did... and the mod you would do again everytime???

4. CAI... and new mass airflow sensor? is the new sensor worth it? its like 300 bucks for the CAI one that matches.....

5. Body lift... I want to do a body lift... but when I do I want to paint the entire underbody... as well as get the fender guards... but idk about the tires... I understand you can fit more... but the appearance I want to get is that of 30/31" tires... I do not plan to heavily offroad, but like to play in the mud every once in awhile....

6.Tune ups... I found a plugs,wires,cap kit for about 200 bucks... would this be worth it? I know that these things tend to fail... and that replacing them means a hell of a lot... but is the package of 200 bucks worth it?

7. Lifts other than body lifts...
Shackles?
Suspension lift....
I want to stay away from the torsion crank since most of the time it can cause excessive wear... but
Will the shackles give a NOTICEABLE height change?
Will it or the suspension lift cause a premature death of anything on the drivetrain or wear ou faster than normal?

Sorry for the crazy post, but I didnt want to post a million things in a million different places... and I am looking for personal views/opinions so that I can find what the best is for me... I want to drop about 300 bucks for the first mod and then play it month by month, as I am also trying to go through and replace the brake system and then probably the suspension components to make it my own and make sure I know whats running.... I just did the rear brake pads yesterday and the rotors appeared to be fine... and now I got a little more grab... and less squeak in the rear... in two weekends I should be working on the fronts and then begin to assess the body lift versus exhaust versus cold air intake.....

Thanks for the help... and yes I did search the forums... and yes I will search the forums...

Old 08-30-2009, 10:22 PM
BF Veteran
AJBert is a jewel in the roughAJBert is a jewel in the roughAJBert is a jewel in the rough

I'd say your first mod depends on what you want most from your truck.

Performance? Clearance? Looks? Only you can answer that question.

I will say the best mod I've done, hands down, was the body lift. Only regret is I wish I had done it sooner.

Old 08-31-2009, 12:24 PM
BF Veteran
Rottidog has a spectacular aura aboutRottidog has a spectacular aura about

well with the body lift you'll get clearence, but that being said your stock tires may look a lil goofy with the space around the tires now, so new tires say 31 x 10.5 are extra money. A CAI is a great mod! Sounds great, helps with mileage & power. My only regret with my CAI is I got a 3" not a 3.5". I'd say get a 3.5" CAI & Non ebay chrome intakes has both sizes, washable filters & are decent quality. Projectors are cool & Nwork great with HID's. See HIDextra in here, they have a really good deal for us.
look at the mods I've done & the pics in my profile for more ideas