General Chat Chat about all things Blazer (and related vehicles). Off-topic stuff should be in the lounge, and all mechanical problems should be posted in the proper forum.

K5 Soft Tops for 1st/3rd Generation Blazers

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2009, 03:28 PM
KhristynnBlazer'88 is on a distinguished road
Default K5 Soft Tops for 1st/3rd Generation Blazers

I have an '88 with the hard top off (I live in San Diego so there's no need for the top) ~ but I've been desperately searching for a soft top or tonneau cover that fits the '88. I found out the 2 most popular companies that used to manufacture K5 soft tops are both out of business (Skylar Corp. and Kayline (formerly STC)).

After searching more, I found only 2 websites that you can buy soft tops: www.soft-tops.com (1978 - 1992 Fastback Convertible Top Custom Designed for Chevy Blazer in Sailcloth Vinyl or Stayfast Cloth for $898) or www.softopper.com (Softopper Model #BlazerGen3 which fits K5 Blazers from '76 to '991 for $749).

BUT... I don't want a slant-back cover, or a large retractable dome shaped soft top (might as well just put the hard top back on)... INSTEAD I want a tonneau type cover with a matching cab curtain to make the Blazer still look sleek. Ok, so if it rains and I put the soft top on, no one can fit in the back seat, but it only rains here like 5 days a year!! So I found 2 places in the San Diego area that will custom make them for an awesome price:

1. Murphy's Marine Canvas (www.murphyscanvas.com) is run by a group of really cool local guys there who love to create these custom covers for anyone's bad *** truck - I already got a sweet estimate (very reasonable) and it's going to be a snap-on style so I can easily put on and take off myself without too much hassle. Plus, I didn't want a permanent bracket attached to the cab for sliding the canvasa in and out, so snap-on is what I'm opting for... The estimated down time will only be a day or two and I'll have my very own custom-built soft top for cheap!

2. Another place I found had good prices as well, Leatherback Canvas (www.leatherbackcanvas.com) is run by a guy who was more than willing to help me out with the Blazer. His price was still under $1K but he was going to make a slant-back cover (not quite what I wanted)... But for those of you who want a slanted cover so you can still have passengers in the back seat with it on) he's the guy to call.

SO FOR ALL THOSE CLASSIC BLAZER DRIVERS OUT THERE ~ IF YOU'RE LOOKING FOR A GREAT CUSTOM-BUILT, REASONABLLY-PRICED SOFT TOP FOR YOUR BAD-*** TOY, AND YOU'RE IN THE SD AREA, CALL THESE GUYS!!!!

(Pics will be posted as soon as the cover is built and on the truck).

Old 07-14-2009, 08:30 PM
KhristynnBlazer'88 is on a distinguished road

Hellz yea! Got the SWEETEST custom made soft top for the '88. I didn't want to pay like a grand for some crappy industry made design, so I checked out Murphy's Marine Canvas and they gave me a sweet price (about half off anything else I found online) and made me exactly what I wanted. It's a snap-on tonneau cover with an attachable cabin cover and zip out window (think of a Jeep Wrangler's windows) - it's beautiful! And since it was made for my truck, it fits like a glove Check out my photo album for pictures... these guys are the best! It only took them about 6 hours to make and install, from start to finish... I would totally recommend getting a marine canvas place to custom make you a top if you want one. It helps keep things in the back safe and not everyone in the neighborhood needs to know about the subs sitting in the back!

Old 07-15-2009, 08:29 AM
BF Veteran
oktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant future

Looks good! Nice colour on your truck too btw.

Old 07-15-2009, 03:40 PM
Beginning Member
versital98 is on a distinguished road

i would love to have a removable top on my blazer! no one makes a kit for that do they?