General Chat Chat about all things Blazer (and related vehicles). Off-topic stuff should be in the lounge, and all mechanical problems should be posted in the proper forum.

A list of common annoying S-10 Blazer quirks.

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2014, 05:56 AM
Starting Member
Badco is on a distinguished road

How about that bloody draft that comes from the door! Or the dreaded "I got snowed on from inside the Blazer" quirk!

Old 01-09-2014, 12:57 AM
ChevyBlazer4uHaters is on a distinguished road

Poor-Quality Plastic

-Pretty much 99% of all plastic used in the interior of the '00 - '05 models either breaks WAY too easily, comes loose, or is, for lack of better terms, pretty fu**ing fragile....

-Damage areas I've noticed so far include, but are MOST DEFINATELY not limited to (in no particular order):

-Complete Front Dash Piece (extends from the left of the vehicle to the right) and all plastic pieces located in the dash or dash area/front of vehicle.

-All seat adjustment levers on seats and other random pieces located primarily in the lower areas of the front bucket seats.

-All plastic components of the middle arm-rest area and parts of the shifter housing parts/pieces.

-Plastic piece located on floor area of rear cargo compartment - pops out of place all the time.

-Rear cup holder plastic molds are VERY easy to puncture holes in, at least in my experience...

-Poor quality plastic used in the lower back seat storage compartments - does not have a tight/snug seal when closed.

-Plastic located in the steering wheel and turn/wiper levers generally cheap, easily faded and/or damages easily.

-Paint and buttons on the factory head unit (stereo/CD player) fade and/or chip much much too easily.

-Not sure if the shaded, sun-battered and weather-raped panels in the top rear section of the exterior is considered plastic or not, but they do not handle the elements well AT ALL. Plastic roof rack also gets faded rather easily.

-Shi**y plastic used in the air vents, not only the front dash, but the very front vent covers/grilles near the windshield break/shatter very easily.

-Ohhhhhh...........almost forgot: the clips/levers or handles located in top rear of the back seats break and malfunction too easily. Fragile is the word that comes to mind.

That's all that comes to mind ATM...

Cliff Notes: Shi**y Quality Plastic Everywhere!!

Old 01-09-2014, 03:09 PM
Starting Member
offroadsandimports is on a distinguished road

Here are mine.

A bunch of dents that randomly show up and when i get them out they come back.

4x4 broken

wheel bearings suck

breaks go out fast

door speakers are horrible

sometimes my instruments freak out and go insane.

no ABS

lost my gas cap (that one was my fault)

oil and dirt stains all over the carpet and door panels and dashboard and places that I didn't even know you could get dirt

cd player doesn't work

rip in the leather seat

steering wheel has peeling leather

it had no rust until the moment i got it and now it is just starting to rust away

window frame thing falls off

my doors don't shut right sometimes

hood doesn't open unless you beat on it

lights don't work when i have the doors open which sucks at night

i can turn the steering wheel a few inches before it actually starts to steer

my heat is broken (it was about -10 the other day)

turn signal noise doesn't stop at all

the passenger seat can't adjust

my parking break doesn't work

my A/C doesn't work

my keys fall out of the ignition and it still runs (i like to scare my friends with that one)

my battery almost dies because the milage and the place where it says what gear you are in don't turn off

the car alarm goes off when i unlock it

i am pretty sure it needs alignment

the door handle is about to fall out of the driver side door

the part between the front 2 seats that opens wiggles around and the part inside that comes out along with the part in front of it

my mirrors don't adjust

it burns through brake fluid

sometimes the window doesn't shut

passengers can't control their windows even when child lock is off

it smells bad (I tried everything to get rid of it)

the thing on my keys where i can unlock it doesn't work

Old 01-17-2014, 02:58 PM
Starting Member
1999Blazer4x4 is on a distinguished road

Spark plugs located whereas you need David Blaine to help you change middle drivers side.

That's the only one from the list that I really hate to deal with, and the fact that these trucks are so good (In my personal opinion) that parts are dying after 15 years one after the other.
However the truck is already 15 years old and looks and drives like 15 years ago, it cost more to fix and replace parts than buying another similar truck but I rather fix mine than buy another one and start all over again!

Old 10-01-2014, 01:50 PM
Beginning Member
Slugranch is on a distinguished road

My fix for the gas tank was replacing with the poly tank that JC Whitney sells. Same foot print as the stock metal tank, but it's made out of plastic. If you decide to replace the fuel pump and sending unit, use only the Delco fuel pump. Do Not replace it with the aftermarket pump offered by NAPA. Mine made it 200 miles on a road trip, and then wouldn't supply enough gas to pull a little slope on the interstate. Sat in a little town in the sticks trying to convince the mechanic to pull the tank, and change the fuel pump for 2 days, while he kept telling me that my fuel pump was putting out enough pressure.(on level ground, driving city streets, and level roads in town) Finally he pumped out the tank, after he had assured me that everything was fixed and told me to fill the tank, and removed the pump, sending unit, and replaced it, I made the rest of my 1000 mile road trip with no further problems. My local wrench turner tells me to only replace GM fuel pumps with Delco. Also window motors, I've not had good luck with NAPA either. They sound like electric grinder motors in comparison to the stock GM motors. Usually they'll make it about 15months. The warranty is 12. Go figger.

Old 10-06-2014, 04:07 PM
mccob25 is on a distinguished road

Those dang door hinges!

Old 11-03-2014, 10:26 AM
AnjelDust is on a distinguished road

2001 4WDR 4 Door Blazer

Whats the little problems I've had over the last 8yrs.

Opening the hood I have a complete rutine for (I look funny doing that rutine), One winter the The drivers wiper just stoped moving stop at a shop and the wiper arm was loose fixed that and now everytime I use it it loose again, window and mirror controlls shot due to water when the window is down a crack, Passanger mirror broke but the defrost on it still works, I only know how much gas was in my take for the first 5 min after starting it, and of corse the little watter leak that works unlike any water leak in the world (empty when it's cold out, and always full when its worm)

I love my Blazer and all her little problems I just wish that they had all stayed little

Old 01-03-2015, 12:43 PM
screwdriver is on a distinguished road

sticky gas gauge and leaky hard to replace valve cover gaskets. Love it though.

Old 01-13-2015, 06:18 PM
sailorjeremy90 is on a distinguished road

How bout them dim headlights on the 95-97? thought about doing a front clip swap to a early 2000s front clip but haven't seen if its been done before?

Old 02-05-2015, 08:46 PM
ski9600 is on a distinguished road

2000 Blazer LS 4dr 4WD 127,000 miles

I just got the sweet Weather Tech window wing things for Christmas 2013, flushed really well and replaced the DexCool with regular green in April 2014, checked the coolant tonight because I thought the heater core was leaking due to a coolant smell in the interior when the engine is warm. However, we didn't see any apparent leaks and it turns out there is almost no coolant in the system. I'm pretty sure this is due to the intake manifold leak problem (from the gasket onto the exhaust, as the engine oil system seems fine). I only get 15 mpg, door pins need to be done again, speakers replaces, problems with vacuum 4wd/heat system, recline cable driver's seat, hood latch release cable twice, transmission once.
As for maintenance wear and tear, alternator, battery, one front hub/wheel bearings.

Quick Reply: A list of common annoying S-10 Blazer quirks.