General Chat Chat about all things Blazer (and related vehicles). Off-topic stuff should be in the lounge, and all mechanical problems should be posted in the proper forum.

My trip

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2009, 08:01 PM
mech cb is on a distinguished road
Default My trip

Hey guys, I just got back from getting my Blazer on monday. It was a pretty cool trip! After flying out and visiting everyone for a couple days it was time to hit the road. I got a late start on saturday because family wanted to do breakfast and lunch. But then, around 1, I was finally on the road.
Around the time that I hit Houston, I hit a crazy huge storm-anyone that was between houston and baton rouge on Friday can definantly confirm that. I'm talking a massive storm with several red cells. Now, if I was traveling with my wife and son, there's no way I would have risked it. I definantly would have pulled in around houston. But this was my first road trip by myself in years, and who knows when my next one will be, so I decided to push through and see what this blazer is made of!
All I can say is WOW! That blazer is a BEAST! I don't really understand why people say this thing doesn't have enough horsepower. That truck was doing 75-80 around 2200 rpms, and I only had to bump it up to 2400-2500 to get a nice little boost for passing traffic. I was suprised at how many people were scared of passing the bigrigs. It's only a little water that those trucks are throwing off to the side, but these people are acting like they were throwing out flames or something. That blazer handled all that water thrown out with no problem. Then, we hit a smaller road that had a bunch of huge puddles that basically shut down a whole lane of traffic except for the trucks. So even though we had to slow down for the water, we still were traveling faster than all the cars since we weren't all stuck in a traffic jam.
I ended up making it to Baton Rouge before stopping for the night. When I first got there, I had to stop at a local bar and grab a drink though. Really freindly people-it was called the Gold Club lol! (Anyone that's been in the area should get that) I ended up pulling the blazer in a local apartment complex parking lot and crashing in the back seat. It's so much cheaper when you travel by yourself! Got up the next morning around 7:30 and was on the road within 10 min fed, gased up and good to go! Again, it's so much easier when you're by yourself!
I rolled through New Orleans and was suprised to see that there's still parts that haven't been rebuilt. Then, I stopped in Gulfport and was suprised to see the same thing. I tried getting on the base there, but they wouldn't give me a pass since the truck wasn't officially registered to me. I tried to explain to them that I was just passing through, but I guess they had a job to do. I finally got to Florida around 1 and was pretty excited. I knew the panhandle was long, but damn! After a short stop in valdosta for an hour, I finally made it home at 10! The truck is all registered and washed(by hand of course) and I hope to get some pics up tomorrow, friday at the latest. I forgot to take my digital camera with me on the trip, so I had to buy a disposable camera. So I'll get some of the truck itself tomorrow or friday with the digi camera, and then I'll get the trip pics up later.

Old 04-22-2009, 08:33 PM
BF Guru
rriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond repute

Cool. Now you're in the club.

Old 04-23-2009, 01:44 AM
BF Veteran
kiwiblazer is on a distinguished road

That sounds like quite an eventful trip. Keeps you nice & alert this type of weather.

Now, if you had the Blazer's camping setup you'd have been really good! If it's the 2nd Gen Blazer that is.

Old 04-23-2009, 01:50 AM
Ugly_Monkey is an unknown quantity at this point

Blood in Blood out!

Old 04-23-2009, 07:01 AM
oisinirish is an unknown quantity at this point

Hope you treated my friends right at the club! LOL.

Probably slept in the P-lot of my old aprtment.

So you took the I-10 Route. Bet the bridge over the Atchafalaya Basin was fun in that storm. If you really wanted some fun shoulda tried the old 190 hwy. Talk about pot holes and the asphalt actually has ruts from all the timber trucks.

Old 04-23-2009, 06:36 PM

When I first pulled in the apartment, I saw a cop car there. Now usually, this tells me I'm not in the best area! haha! But for some reason, I went ahead and parked in there anyways. Luckily nothing happened.

Old 04-23-2009, 09:15 PM
okvortec is on a distinguished road

The back seats being able to fold into the floor is a nice feature!

Congrats on the Blazer, have fun with it!

Old 04-24-2009, 06:34 PM

Ok guys, here's the first pics! I went errr...dirt road-trail driving! lol! It's only a two wheel drive with street tires, so I had to keep it tame. I save the fun stuff for when I'm in a HMMWV! That thing rides so smooth that I'm not sure I want to put off-road tires on it at the moment. Hell, I even like the rims! Maybe I'll just have to do a little on the inside(rubber floormats and the such) and leave er be. I mean, it is a really clean truck-I'm not sure I want to ruin that. But anyways, here they are-

When I first entered the park

I had to take my buddy with me!

Here it is!

Old 04-24-2009, 07:29 PM
okvortec is on a distinguished road

Looks good!

Old 04-25-2009, 08:23 AM
Biohazed is on a distinguished road

looks good it looks pretty clean! but whats up with the front bumper? looks like its got a big gap between the top of the bumper and the fender?

Quick Reply: My trip