General Chat Chat about all things Blazer (and related vehicles). Off-topic stuff should be in the lounge, and all mechanical problems should be posted in the proper forum.

odometer dicsrepancy

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2013, 12:48 PM
Beginning Member
matts98blazer is on a distinguished road
Question odometer dicsrepancy

I got my title work done yesterday and looked at it. the title said odometer discrepancy. well my odometer reads at 113000. i bought the truck used runs great new lower ball joints. ive read that the computer save the miles on it so i know even if the guage cluster had been changed it should read what ever is on the truck correct. So im thanking it was just a mistake at one time what you guys thank.

Old 03-03-2013, 12:58 PM
BF Veteran
richphotos has a spectacular aura aboutrichphotos has a spectacular aura aboutrichphotos has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by matts98blazer
I got my title work done yesterday and looked at it. the title said odometer discrepancy. well my odometer reads at 113000. i bought the truck used runs great new lower ball joints. ive read that the computer save the miles on it so i know even if the guage cluster had been changed it should read what ever is on the truck correct. So im thanking it was just a mistake at one time what you guys thank.
I believe the mileage is stored in the cluster, not the computer.

Old 03-03-2013, 01:12 PM
Beginning Member

that's what i thought not to worried about it tho i just hate have a title problem with it hard to resell when the time comes ya know

Last edited by matts98blazer; 03-03-2013 at 01:23 PM.
Old 03-03-2013, 02:45 PM
Starting Member
ol' grouch is on a distinguished road

At some time the odometer had a problem. Maybe a cable or sending unit broke. Maybe the odometer was replaced. It just says the odometer doesn't show the exact mileage. If it was a late model vehicle, it would get you a lower price. It's meant to stop dealers and other shady characters from clocking a car to raise their profit margin. If you sell it to your neighbor down the road, the condition will sell it. Just let them know there's an issue with the mileage.

Old 03-03-2013, 03:05 PM
rexazz2 will become famous soon enough

that should have been disclosed by the seller BTW
In my area they would at on time put a bright yellow sticker on the door jam with reading info

Old 03-03-2013, 05:10 PM
Starting Member
zball94 is an unknown quantity at this point

It is indeed stored in the cluster. My truck had 185k on it when the odometer stopped working, new cluster had 235k on it. I put 50k on my truck in 15 minutes

Old 03-03-2013, 06:32 PM
Starting Member
ol' grouch is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by rexazz2
that should have been disclosed by the seller BTW
In my area they would at on time put a bright yellow sticker on the door jam with reading info

That's what a branded title is for. The same as if it had been wrecked and rebuilt or submerged. The title will tell you something is changed and it stays on the title. It's possible to wash a title but not easy and getting harder all the time.

Old 03-04-2013, 04:47 AM
rexazz2 will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by ol' grouch
That's what a branded title is for. The same as if it had been wrecked and rebuilt or submerged. The title will tell you something is changed and it stays on the title. It's possible to wash a title but not easy and getting harder all the time.
It does give you grounds to go back after the seller if you dont feel it was priced accordingly
I was at a vehicle auction a couple weeks ago and just about every crown vic (police) that came across had a disclosure on odometer

Old 03-04-2013, 07:29 PM
Beginning Member

Yea my odometer says 113000 but my title says 129000 I did a car fax on it. It says bought new then like 59000 miles then in like two years to 129000. Then after that 129000 again. So its only been odometer problem for like 2 years. But from 59000 to 129000 in two years. But I've read to stores it in the computer of the truck to and u can hook a certain scan tool up to it probally some dealership scanner and get the true miles of the truck. I don't know how true this is or how much. But I heard once they get that off the omputer they can program for cluster to match or truck computer. I don't know like I said im not to wrried about it. That truck runs great I love the blazer and I know these motors in them are die hard with the right up keep done to them.

Old 03-04-2013, 11:07 PM
Starting Member
nunya is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by rexazz2
It does give you grounds to go back after the seller if you dont feel it was priced accordingly
I was at a vehicle auction a couple weeks ago and just about every crown vic (police) that came across had a disclosure on odometer
Probably because most of those scrap clusters quit working right after 2 years!

Most PA titles I see with over 100k just say "exempt" in the mileage box to begin with, heck I had a 91 Nissan p/u that had "carfax documented odometer fraud" from almost every year between 92-2000 and my title said "exempt" in the mileage box, nothing about all the alleged fraud. (Of course carfax said the same truck was "salvaged" twice before I got it yet it was not a reconstructed title and had no signs of it)

Quick Reply: odometer dicsrepancy