General Chat Chat about all things Blazer (and related vehicles). Off-topic stuff should be in the lounge, and all mechanical problems should be posted in the proper forum.

Reading horrible Blazer reviews, should I sell it?

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2010, 12:49 PM
Beginning Member
chesthing is on a distinguished road
Default Reading horrible Blazer reviews, should I sell it?

Bought an '01 LT Blazer a few months ago with only 60k on it. Like new condition inside and out, it was really pampered by the one owner. Right after buying it I replaced the upper and lower ball joints and front shocks, now the squeaking is gone and it rides much better - but I was surprised these needed replacing at that mileage. I plan to grease all zerk fittings every 5k if I keep it.
I've been doing some searches on websites that review cars, and I keep running into horrible reliablility review after review from consumers, and professional reviewers generally give the vehicle like 40 out of 100 rating. I like the truck and this would be my third vehicle with the 4.3 vortec which I love, but I'm a little concerned this is a money pit waiting to happen.
The truck only has 65k and looks/drives like new - it's still worth what I paid + the parts I replaced myself (I only paid $6,000- I got a great deal) and I'm wondering if I should go to a Tahoe (the reviews I read are infinitely better) or something else?

Old 01-31-2010, 12:55 PM
BF Veteran
ABN31B is on a distinguished road

there are plenty of quirks, and the average john Q. Douche that drops a 1 star rating because he put green coolant in with his Dex-Cool and smoked his cooling system shouldn't scare you off.

Before you throw in the towel, poke around the forum. Search "common annoying" and look at the pages of things people complain about (squeaky plastic for 4 pages...)

They are decent if needy, but at 60k you should squeeze another 40k out of her before it starts asking for the big things

just maintain it and it will treat you right

That being said it's an '01 LT huh?
You anywhere near Oregon? I know a guy that will take it off your hands since it is such a death trap though....

Old 01-31-2010, 01:15 PM
Beginning Member

I drive all my vehicles around like a grandma, and am really **** about maintenance, which I do myself because "professional" mechanics always screw it up, at least for me. Maybe I fit the profile of someone who has great "luck" with the Blazer? I do read those reviews, although they are rare.
I put it on the Craigslist for $6500 firm last week and got two very interested people who wanted to come see it, but I called them back and told them I changed my mind. It's nice to know I could dump it quick, but that all changes of course if the tranny or something else goes... admittedly, if I had done the research before buying it I wouldn't have bought it. Now, Im debating.

Last edited by chesthing; 01-31-2010 at 01:18 PM.
Old 01-31-2010, 01:29 PM
Banned
TFisher is on a distinguished road

If you do your own maintenance and use synthetic oil, you won't have a problem. A lot of people on this forum wind up breaking a lot of stuff, but remember -- most of them go 4-wheeling with their Blazer, far more stress that it was ever intended for. I am closing in on 150K, and the only major maintenance has been the intake manifold gasket. This is one of the few vehicles that I would put a new tranny in if it died because it is so much nicer than the new SUV's IMO. Welcome to the forum and welcome to Blazerdom!

Regards,

Thomas

Old 01-31-2010, 01:44 PM
Beginning Member

That's what I want to hear. I actually wanted to replace my '97 awd Aerostar with another more modern minivan, but good luck finding one with awd. The only reason I want 4wd is because of Colorado snow, I never off road with it.
I drove a '93 Ramcharger to 260k, then sold it for $2500 because it still ran perfect. That fact probably tells me the Blazer will be fine, as of now I'm in keeping it mode.

Old 01-31-2010, 01:48 PM
Banned
Spectreblazer is on a distinguished road

if you take it off road you're going to have more maintence most of the time. i take my off the beaten path, but i'd say most replacement parts have been just regular wear and tear, alternator, battery, shocks, spark plugs, ball joints, tires, i mean it goes to back if you treat something well its gonna treat you well back.

Old 01-31-2010, 04:22 PM
RangerG will become famous soon enoughRangerG will become famous soon enough

I know the site your talking about that gave it 40/100.

It's actually pretty average for that site. I guess they like to rate everyday vehicles that low so they can give Porches and Rolls Royce's high scores.

Old 01-31-2010, 04:35 PM
BF Veteran
kiwiblazer is on a distinguished road

These trucks grow on you! When you do decide to sell I'm sure you''l think twice & keep it! Then after following what's happening on this forum, two things will happen.

1. You'll become part of the "family" & to be part you need a Blazer, Jimmy etc.
2. When you see the trucks on here you'll want to do the same - Refer "kiwiblazer"! LOL

At this point in time you'll be hooked man. Truck becomes your soulmate! LOL

Amazing truck. At least I think so. Of course I could sell & buy a Toyota Surf. But I won't!

Old 01-31-2010, 04:39 PM
Banned
Spectreblazer is on a distinguished road

i agree with kiwi they do grow on you. my dad sold me his when i wrecked my alero and i was looking at f150s, i still wish i got an f150 but i litterly hated the body style and the suv look. slapped some clearance lights on the top and now its a big rig. you dont see any f150s like that do you? anyways yea im more attached than i was before, plus today i got a k5, so i guess im starting to stockpile them up.. plus i got my lifted blue one but that aint no daily driver and shes been out of commission for awhile.

Old 01-31-2010, 04:43 PM
BF Guru
rriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kiwiblazer
...Of course I could sell & buy a Toyota Surf. But I won't!
Over here they're called the 4Runner. I like 'Smurf' better.

Quick Reply: Reading horrible Blazer reviews, should I sell it?