General Chat Chat about all things Blazer (and related vehicles). Off-topic stuff should be in the lounge, and all mechanical problems should be posted in the proper forum.

Really stupid tranny fluid question

Old 07-05-2009, 06:22 PM
cr8390 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Really stupid tranny fluid question

Ok so this is a really stupid question and i feel like a idiot asking it but i was checking my tranny fluid when the truck was hot (drove it for like 30 minutes) then parked it on a level surface and checked it. Now this is my question when i take the dip stick out i say thicker more red fluid on the part where it says cold but i do see a little red haze where a little above the hot level (and yes i wipe the dip stick off every time i check it with a rag). My question is the fluid level at where its thicker at cold or where the haze of the fluid ends at the top of the hot? I'll post a pic of what it kind of looks like to my best ability.

Old 07-05-2009, 06:30 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Sometimes it can be problematic checking the fluid level as you have found out. I like to take a piece of 80 grit sand paper and rough up the portion of the dip stick where the level can be. This will allow the fluid something to stick into making it easier to see where the line is.

In your case, I would say your transmission is over full (provided the engine is running while you took the reading).

Old 07-05-2009, 07:28 PM

yes it is running and that could be the reason im getting sometimes some 1st to 2nd hard shift? not often but sometimes like a couple times a day and why the pan is shiny. How do i drain it besides dropping the pan im going on a 4 hour trip tommorow so i wanna be good.

Old 07-05-2009, 07:43 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

I do not think that the level would cause any hard shifting, but these transmissions can be finicky. You could try pulling one of the cooler lines, but make sure to direct both ends into a suitable container so that you can account for any direction of flow.

Old 07-05-2009, 08:03 PM
Ugly_Monkey is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by swartlkk
... but make sure to direct both ends into a suitable container so that you can account for any direction of flow.
HaHa, yah I did this once but i had the wrong line in the jug. I cranked it over, turned it off, looked in the jug and was like WTF??? were did the fluid go! Haha I found the fluid... It had shot six feet onto the hood and fender of my roomates car! oops!

Old 07-05-2009, 08:06 PM
Administrator

With vehicles this old, you have to account for the possibility that the lines have been reversed.

Old 07-05-2009, 08:15 PM

is it a big deal can i drive it with the overful or should i get some out?

Old 07-05-2009, 08:18 PM

Also note that since the trans system is not under constant pressure, in order to get the fluid out you unhook the line then crank over the truck but dont let it start really. this will pump out a small amount of fluid, just repeat till you have removed the amount of fluid you want to. I guess I should mention aswell that this is alot easyer if you have an external cooler with soft lines as apossed to unhooking it from the rad, wich has a potential to get messy!

Old 07-05-2009, 08:23 PM
Administrator

You can also get a small hand pump to draw fluid out of the dipstick tube. The one I have out at my dad's was something like $15 or so... It has lasted quite a few years too.

Old 07-05-2009, 08:34 PM

If you do decide to remove some fluid before your trip, I highly recommend tossing a jug of fluid in the back and stopping to check on your fluid sometime durring the trip.

EDIT: Reason I say this is; if your low on fluid for short drives it may not be that damaging, but continuos heat from extended use WILL cook the tranny fluid WAY faster if your low becuase it will create more heat.

Four transmissions later and I'm an expert on cooking fluid!

Last edited by Ugly_Monkey; 07-05-2009 at 08:38 PM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Really stupid tranny fluid question