General Chat Chat about all things Blazer (and related vehicles). Off-topic stuff should be in the lounge, and all mechanical problems should be posted in the proper forum.

Rust control

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2017, 09:59 AM
Beginning Member
slowpoke is on a distinguished road
Default Rust control

2003 Blazer, owned since 2005, low miles (85k). After looking around at possible replacements, I'm strongly inclined to invest some $ to rejuvenate this limo. Nothing else out there that would meet my needs (incl. 5k# towing). Other than a few minor repairs, my main concern is frame rust. Since this wagon sits most of the time, and I live in the snow belt, the frame has some rust on it, not critical yet, but I'd like to address it before that time comes.

Looking to find out what others have used. Any suggestions?

Old 02-24-2017, 10:51 AM
CWBDDSPC is on a distinguished road

Por 15

Old 02-24-2017, 11:15 AM
Rusty Nuts is on a distinguished road

I agree with Doc. POR (paint over rust) 15 is an excellent product. Expensive but worth it. Follow the instructions to the letter and believe them when they say it does not come off skin.

Old 02-24-2017, 11:33 AM
BF Veteran
richphotos has a spectacular aura aboutrichphotos has a spectacular aura aboutrichphotos has a spectacular aura about

Yup, POR 15 all the way.

Old 02-24-2017, 12:14 PM
Beginning Member

Anyone ever used "Fluid Film"?

Old 02-26-2017, 01:36 PM
Beginning Member
JTWard is on a distinguished road
Default If your looking for a new life ?

I know the frame life is so important, nothing is worse to hear. But if your going pump real new life into you K5. Then it's body off and frame out , media blast, weld in reinforcements and problem areas, power coat and put it all back together. I know this isn't what you wanted to hear, but. . .

The sole reason I bought my K5 was I found it in West Texas, not a spot of rust on it. Looked like it was painted with a mop, but solid. It don't get any better that that !

Attached Thumbnails Rust control-sany0177.jpg  

Last edited by JTWard; 02-27-2017 at 08:27 AM.
Old 02-27-2017, 07:12 AM
Beginning Member

Thanks for the responses. To those who have personally used POR 15, please comment on your results, difficulties, etc. Although it would be by far the most expensive "paint" I've ever used, if it works it's a bargain!

Old 02-27-2017, 08:29 AM
Beginning Member
JTWard is on a distinguished road

You could just take out the body mount bolts and lift the body5"- 6" and clean and use POR-15 on top and bottom ? Just a suggestion.

Old 02-27-2017, 02:55 PM
BF Veteran
richphotos has a spectacular aura aboutrichphotos has a spectacular aura aboutrichphotos has a spectacular aura about

I have used por-15 many times and it works amazing. Did not have any hard time applying it.
There were a few places I did not even clean with a wire wheel, literally just painted over the rust.

Old 02-28-2017, 06:53 AM
Beginning Member

Originally Posted by richphotos
I have used por-15 many times and it works amazing. Did not have any hard time applying it.
There were a few places I did not even clean with a wire wheel, literally just painted over the rust.
Thanks for the input- this week I plan to go over this ride and come up with a list of repairs that would "rejuvenate" it and make it last several more years. After a quick look at what I might replace it with, I saw nothing that I would rather have than this Blazer. I'm willing to spend some money on it.

I'll take a good look at potential rust issues- interesting that although there are a zillion of these on the road around these parts, there seems to be little, if any, body rust-through.

In truth, there is nothing major, a coolant leak I haven't chased down yet, the "standard" 4.3 oil leak from the front of the engine, and a couple of other things. I do have a concern re brake pedal travel: mine, with a firm application and the engine running, goes just about to the carpet. This after lots and lots of bleeding. Think I'll start a new thread to find out if this is normal.

Last edited by slowpoke; 02-28-2017 at 06:55 AM.

Quick Reply: Rust control