General Chat Chat about all things Blazer (and related vehicles). Off-topic stuff should be in the lounge, and all mechanical problems should be posted in the proper forum.

Scoring free Blazer parts

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2009, 03:18 AM
BF Veteran
kiwiblazer is on a distinguished road
Default Scoring free Blazer parts

Been past the Chevy guys this afternoon.
Dropped in to see if they had a Blazers dash stripped out so I can see how to access the heater core - I may do this next week.

They've been cleaning out their yard & have, amongst the wrecks, a green Blazer & a Blazer chassis. These (& some other bits) are going to the scrap metal guys Monday.

So the guy told me if I want, I can strip the dash myself & while I'm at it I can strip & take whatever I want!
Man I wish I had a big back yard! The green Blazer is still intact except for the drive train, running gear, front fenders etc. sadly, no drivers seat. AND NO LIGHTS! - before anyone asks.
Anyway, since I'm not working next week, the guy told me to bring some tools Monday morning & all he wants for his stock is the center console lid, windscreen wipers, heater controls & a few other bits. Then I can take what I want. If I need help to remove something they'll charge me for the labour - at 70 buck an hour. But hey, who needs help? LOL

I'm planning on taking the air vents, instrument cluster, the thing that diverts hot/cold air to the a/c, centre roof console & whatever else I can without being too greedy.

Old 04-17-2009, 11:43 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Great deal!

Old 04-17-2009, 01:17 PM
okvortec is on a distinguished road

Wow, you lucked out!

Old 04-20-2009, 04:45 AM
BF Veteran

Well, I spent the day at Bunce - in the rain, outside!

The aim was to see how to strip the dash to get access to the heater core. The truck waiting to go to the scrap yard was already partly stripped down.
They printed off the "how to" from the GM site for removing the dash & heater core to help me. I'll do a seperate post on the heater core in the appropriate section.

So, after removing the few bits Peter wanted, gearshift slider, HVAC control, w/wiper arms, & center console box lid, All I was able to salvage was:

Centre console cover (mine has a few white marks that I can't get off)

Left vent grill thingy (mine is broken - so is the right one but this was already gone)

Drivers sunvisor (the mirror cover on mine was missing from when I bought the truck - again I need the left one but that was also gone - the one with the extra flap - I think your drivers side GM must've missed that when doing the conversions)

Instrument cluster (just for the hell of it)

Rear L & R inside panels (mine has some clips that are broken)

Rear hatch/wiper switch (since it was there)

TCCM (since it was there)

Door seals & plastic trim (mine have shrunck & have about 1/2" gap in the doorway - the trim because I didn't want to throw it in the skip)

Serpentine belt (was lying in the truck & looked in better nick than mine - so it becomes a spare - God forbid it breaks anywhere in NZ the AA would never have one & will have to tow me home)

Roof console (this was broken but I needed another "door" for where the garage door opener thing goes - grandkids broke that)

Wheel chocks (usefull for the boat trailer)

Chevy & Blazer name plates (Couldn't let that go to the scrap)

AND, surprise I found a pair of tail lights! (Definately keep that - not that I'll ever use them LOL)

FINALLY, the rear silencer (mine is blowing, think the baffles are giving in, so this will be spare untill I can get the high performance exhaust ($650))

Of course, I could have removed the carpet as mine has a scuff mark but this truck was soaked & to get it out I'd need to remove the front left & rear seats. The back was already full of junk. I had to decide on what I really needed.

What the hell, I'm sure I'll get another opportunity. Still need a LH mirror.

They have a few more Blazers & I've offered to come in & strip them if they want.

Attached Thumbnails Scoring free Blazer parts-p1010003.jpg   Scoring free Blazer parts-p1010004.jpg   Scoring free Blazer parts-p1010005.jpg   Scoring free Blazer parts-p1010006.jpg   Scoring free Blazer parts-p1010008.jpg  

Old 04-20-2009, 09:47 AM
okvortec is on a distinguished road

I wish I could find some tailights like that in the US!

Old 04-20-2009, 10:19 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Nice haul!

Old 04-20-2009, 03:18 PM
Ugly_Monkey is an unknown quantity at this point

Nice take!

Old 04-23-2009, 01:35 AM
BF Veteran

Back to Bunce again today. Stripped another 2 Blazers.

Freebies Were:

Front passenger seat (mine had a cigarette burn from when I bought it so I figured why not?)
Dash air vents,
Blazer bowtie (cracked but usable),
Door switch (the paint on mine is wearing off),
Cargo net,
Wiring harnes rear lights (good for spare),
Wind deflector (for spare),
Overhead console LS (why not?),
Door handle back plates in grey (I plan on changing from the copper colour - still to get the ones for the rear doors. There was a grey dash bezel but it was cracked. I'm sure they'll give me the next one that comes in).
Indicator & wiper stalks (again why not?)
And other trim panels. (I'll swap out for some of mine that have scratches).

Oh, & yes, that is ANOTHER instrument cluster.
I'll be back tomorrow so "watch this space"!!!

Attached Thumbnails Scoring free Blazer parts-haul-6.jpg   Scoring free Blazer parts-haul-7.jpg   Scoring free Blazer parts-haul-8.jpg   Scoring free Blazer parts-haul-9.jpg  
Old 04-23-2009, 07:11 AM
Administrator

You better watch it. Soon you will be hording all of those parts and asking exuberant prices for them!

Old 04-23-2009, 07:33 AM
oisinirish is an unknown quantity at this point

Ha. You may not need that new job. Looks like you've a new enterprise what now!

Quick Reply: Scoring free Blazer parts