General Chat Chat about all things Blazer (and related vehicles). Off-topic stuff should be in the lounge, and all mechanical problems should be posted in the proper forum.

Selling my '99 Blazer; what's a good price to ask for?

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2011, 12:13 AM
Shalom is on a distinguished road
Default Selling my '99 Blazer; what's a good price to ask for?

OK, the time has come to get out from under. I've leased a new Subaru Forester, and am getting rid of this albatross around my neck, otherwise known as a 1999 Blazer. (Don't worry, I have no intention of getting rid of the '88; that one I'm keeping. Had it 18 years already.)

So here's the story. The body is in good shape inside and out; car was in a front end collision a few years ago, professionally repaired, airbags did not deploy. Not counting that bodywork, I've sunk close to 5 grand into this thing in the past couple years, which I'll never see back, but at some point you have to stop throwing good money after bad. (https://blazerforum.com/forum/engine-transmission-35/99-4-3-replaced-manifold-gasket-still-overheating-now-what-long-sorry-45807/ was the latest post in the saga; links therein to previous ones.)

The current problems with this vehicle are as follows: one, the motor mounts are shot; and two, I've been having low oil pressure, plus the last time I had the oil changed, before the winter, the mechanic said he thought there was coolant in the oil. These factors taken together would seem to point to a leaking head gasket. (Car has a history of coolant problems, including needing the intake manifold replaced. Not just the gasket, the whole damn manifold.) I drove it home from there, put it in the driveway and haven't started it since, because antifreeze isn't particularly good for bearings, it was starting to clatter when I shut it down, and I've been getting nervous about messing it up worse.

So I was going to put it on craigslist, with these problems specified, but I have no idea how much to ask for. The online appraisers don't have a category for "good body, needs engine work". Kelley's shows about 3500 for "Good" condition, Edmunds shows about half of that; from which I should subtract whatever it would cost to replace the head gasket(s) and motor mounts. If I wind up with a negative number, of course, it's getting junked or donated. Shame, too, because it's got a lot of brand new parts. Brakes, wheel hubs, tires, crossover pipe & cat, coil to plugs & everything between, intake manifold, I don't remember what-all else.

(I'd part it out, but have no where to store it while it's being disassembled, nor the knowledge of how to take the various bits off.)

So. Any suggestions on pricing? Or does anyone here want to buy it, knowing the condition it's in? Is anybody going to want to buy it in this condition, given that I'm afraid to start it?

Shalom

Last edited by Shalom; 03-03-2011 at 12:14 AM. Reason: always proofread your work to be sure you do not any words out.
Old 03-03-2011, 12:31 AM
84BlazerS10 is on a distinguished road

Have you tried seeing what KBB says?

Old 03-03-2011, 04:52 PM
Starting Member
myprixxx is on a distinguished road

Where are you located? anywhere decently close to illinois shoot me a PM

Old 03-03-2011, 10:55 PM

Sorry, I'm in northern NJ. Not particularly close.

Old 03-03-2011, 11:34 PM
BF Guru
old skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of light

you didn't tell us mileage or options, a major factor in any vehicles price.

bad engine? that's just a killer right there. same as, "needs some trany work."

around here a 12 year old Blazer/Jimmy, with average mileage (240K/150 miles) is going for around $1000 with a bad engine or trany. hell, some guy has a '98 with 238K on it, for only $800 'cause he's moving (etest only, no safety).

i only paid $2K for my Blazer when it was 10 years old, with only 75% of the average mileage on it. and it has every option that was available for it.

i picked up a '98 Jimmy with major rod knock (3 spun rods, was only for parts anyways) a few months after i got mine. while it had slightly above average mileage, no leather or power moon roof, and not very much visable rust, i only paid $550 for it.

sorry if that felt like i was kicking you when you're down, didn't mean too. i'm just giving you some market views.

Old 03-04-2011, 10:31 AM

Ah, right. Forgot about that. Mileage is around 138,000. Options, it's got the LS package; what that includes is listed at http://www.edmunds.com/chevrolet/bla...tml?style=3816 ; additional options were driver's power seat and 4-speed A/T. Also has the 4-button transfer case, full size spare and outside tire carrier, which aren't listed either as an option or standard. I forgot to mention it's a 2-door, which is one more factor in my decision to sell (I didn't have kids when I bought it, and it's not so easy to get them in and out of their car seats in the back). No rust.

The engine is still mechanically sound, but I'm afraid that if I drive it much more, it won't be for much longer. At the moment it's fixable with just a head gasket, but if I keep driving it, I'm afraid I'll ruin the bearings or something.

Thanks for the numbers, by the way. I wouldn't sell it for $550, I can get that from a junkyard. Hell the airbags are worth more than that just by themselves. If someone would give me 2 grand, I'd smile and walk away from it.