General Chat Chat about all things Blazer (and related vehicles). Off-topic stuff should be in the lounge, and all mechanical problems should be posted in the proper forum.

Should i replace my 2WD blazer with a 4WD?

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2012, 04:52 PM
importsky22 is on a distinguished road
Default Should i replace my 2WD blazer with a 4WD?

Hey guys!

Im on and off these forums, i dont post much but I learn alot from reading topics.

I took over my wife's 2000 blazer recently because we got her a new vehicle, and im falling in love with it, i have always loved it but now that its my main ride i love it even more.

I have finally got in running pretty well, but i am missing one thing, 4WD. Id love to keep building this truck but since its 2WD it seems kind of pointless.

It has 240k miles on it and the engine is running strong, with the exception of oil all over the bottom of the engine (i was told front and real engine seals).

I have replaced the following :

Intake manifold gasket
rebuilt transmission
fuel pump
front wheel bearing hubs
shocks

SO what do you think? i can find some blazers around the area, looking for newer than 2000 and have found some with about 130k - 160k miles for about $5k and one that had only 80k miles for about 7k i believe. SO what would you do if you were in my situation?

Thanks!

Old 01-03-2012, 06:38 PM
Starting Member
91chevywt is an unknown quantity at this point

I say keep it if you don't absolutely need 4x4. If you need more traction there are things you can do, like get a limited slip differential or locker. This can make a world of difference. A new-used car means you'll have a whole new set of problems which could be significant. At least with yours you know what it needs and what it doesn't need.

I wish I had a 2wd instead of my 4x4 truck, I prefer the simpler front suspension, and the electronic transfer cases can have issues. I drive 99% highway so the extra MPG/weight saved with 2wd makes sense for me. Mine had issues with the transfer case and front axle, so I was stuck driving 2wd in the snow and it actually does great in 2wd

Old 01-03-2012, 07:24 PM
BF Guru
xgiovannix12 has a spectacular aura aboutxgiovannix12 has a spectacular aura about

depends on the terrain you drive on .. If you get a lot of snow or go into muddy/wet places like where i live we have a lot of snow and a lot of unpaved roads so i need my 4x4

Old 01-04-2012, 09:28 AM

See thats the thing. I dont get alot of snow where i live, we may get a bit of snow one season most likely none at all. but i just want it to be there! haha

I like the idea of lifting the blazer, The look of it with the Hi Lights and cage up top. But i know being a 2WD im sure i would just catch alot of slack from 4wd owners, and i would enjoy going on some trails.

I have read about the limited slip or locker that you refer to. what are the advatages, Where can that be purchased and what is the cost of getting something like that done?

Old 01-04-2012, 02:02 PM
BF Veteran
Thogert has a spectacular aura aboutThogert has a spectacular aura aboutThogert has a spectacular aura about

You can lift a 2wd if you want. I won't give you any grief. In fact, lifting a 2wd is cheaper than lifting a 4wd. As for offroading, you can do a lot with 2wd, especially with a locker and some nice tires.

Old 01-04-2012, 02:13 PM
97cherryblazer will become famous soon enough97cherryblazer will become famous soon enough

well you can make a 2WD look like a 4WD pretty easy just as long as no one looks at the front suspension. and like thog said its also cheaper to lift a 2WD. so if its a road princess you want then i would say stick with the 2WD i know you said you want to go on some trails, it just depends on how difficult they are. and if people you give you grief about wheeling with a 2WD you can laugh at them when you get through the same trail that they needed 4WD to get through

i work at a mountain pass as a ski instructor so im always driving in the snow and i rarely use 4WD even in deep snow. i also have a locker tho.

Old 01-04-2012, 06:00 PM

Well thanks for the encouragement guys! I was even thinking about yanking the 4wd control modual out of the dash of a junk yard truck and poping it in the dash of mine to give the appearance! haha.

Any lockers that you would recommend? I have read that they are pretty straight forword to install in ones driveway. While were at it, any lift kits that would be recommended?

I plan on getting general grabbers At2's when i get new tires, so thats a start!

Old 01-04-2012, 07:01 PM
97cherryblazer will become famous soon enough97cherryblazer will become famous soon enough

well if you want it to look like a 4x4 Blazer then you will need wheel spacers for the rear. Grabber AT2's are nice, ive been looking at them myself.

For a locker, the G80 is always good, it came as an option with some blazers and all ZR2's. pretty much anything from Eaton will be good (Eaton makes the G80). heck you're blazer might already have the G80 you can look at the sticker in you're glove box and find out. not sure if the 2WD blazers had the G80 option. i think they did tho?

Old 01-05-2012, 04:43 AM

Based on how it acted in the snow last year, i doubt it has a locker, and i was also running plain ol passenger tires on it...still am.

Wouldnt i need to put the spacers on front and back? Where can i get them? Is that also something that is easily installed?

EDIT:
http://www.autoanything.com/wheel-ti...0A3096234.aspx

That what i need? Seems easy enough. And will the zr2 flares fit a 4door blazer?

Last edited by importsky22; 01-05-2012 at 04:46 AM.
Old 01-05-2012, 05:34 AM
BF Veteran
pettyfog has a spectacular aura aboutpettyfog has a spectacular aura about

My advice - Keep what you got and fake it. It's just 'modding' and makes more sense than neon and subwoofers. Plus it stays reliable.
- Whatever tires you get 'for effect' do your research and check what people say about road noise. I got my Bravada with Firestone Destination AT and I love em because there is almost no road noise. It's a highway tire and looks like one but that's fine with me.
Opinion:
I'm in my sixties.. grew up on a farm in SW Oh, and drove in lotsa mud and the occasional 3 inches snow and ice on roads. Just bought first ever 4wd this summer.
95 % of everyone with 4wd dont 'need' it.. or wouldnt if they actually knew how to drive on other than asphalt.
All else equal; FWD makes far bigger difference over RWD in a car than 4WD makes over FWD. But the Blazer is a TRUCK. Properly weighted and shod, RWD at least equal to sedan FWD
If I start having problems related to the TC or front diff.. the Bravadiva is getting converted to RWD only, real quick!