General Chat Chat about all things Blazer (and related vehicles). Off-topic stuff should be in the lounge, and all mechanical problems should be posted in the proper forum.

Skid Plate

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2007, 06:47 PM
TheBrettster has a reputation beyond reputeTheBrettster has a reputation beyond reputeTheBrettster has a reputation beyond reputeTheBrettster has a reputation beyond reputeTheBrettster has a reputation beyond reputeTheBrettster has a reputation beyond reputeTheBrettster has a reputation beyond reputeTheBrettster has a reputation beyond reputeTheBrettster has a reputation beyond reputeTheBrettster has a reputation beyond reputeTheBrettster has a reputation beyond repute
Default Skid Plate

Does anyone know where i can find an aftermarket metal/carbon fiber skid plate that covers the sway bar and oil filter. A rock took out my plastic one and would like to replace it with something a little bit stronger. I picked up the ZR2 carbon fiber one from the dealership but to find that it was much longer in the back than mine.

Old 09-26-2007, 07:16 PM
99 Blazer 4x4 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default RE: Skid Plate

I not sure, but I would try either 4 wheel parts.com, check some off the ads in a 4wd mag and see if any of them have parts for blazers. I made my own, I did the same thing mine got a crack then did the whole fall a part in like a 2 month period. Now I amnot sure what guage is, a friend actually got me thescrap sheets from work. He's a welder and after they cut the pieces they need, the spare s**t gets thrown away,he cut the pieces with a plasma cutterto the shape to match what the old piece looked like considering all that was left was the outline. BTW, now they can't do it because some idiot not us abused thewhole you can have the scrap (the guy snatched like 10,000 bucks worth of good material).Then I drilled theholesout a bitso I could bigger bolts to handle the extra weight (not as much as you think though). They are great, they have afew dents but Ithink if I would have had thestock s**t on I would have tore something up.BTW I could be wrong but couldn't you cut the ZR2 one to fit.
Like I said if it was mine and I was goin' offroadin' a bit, find you somebody that welds. You might get lucky and they will let you have there scrap, you don't need a huge piece. Good Luck, Hope this help you out some.

Old 09-27-2007, 12:42 AM
TheBrettster has a reputation beyond reputeTheBrettster has a reputation beyond reputeTheBrettster has a reputation beyond reputeTheBrettster has a reputation beyond reputeTheBrettster has a reputation beyond reputeTheBrettster has a reputation beyond reputeTheBrettster has a reputation beyond reputeTheBrettster has a reputation beyond reputeTheBrettster has a reputation beyond reputeTheBrettster has a reputation beyond reputeTheBrettster has a reputation beyond repute

No, the ZR2 one it longer than the stock. If i were to cut , it would take off that bottom lip that bolts to the crossmember.

Old 09-27-2007, 08:57 AM

Then I think your best bet is either to try to find a replacement or make one like I did. Thats why I made one I could find astronger aftermarket unit and the dealer here where I am at wanted a bloody fortune, an arm and a leg.

Old 09-27-2007, 09:20 AM
DM6156 is an unknown quantity at this point

I'm not a fan of the composite skid plates. while they are tougher than not having one, they are relatively easy to break. I'd rather make one from a good ole piece of steel.

- Dan M

Old 09-27-2007, 09:46 AM

Thats what I did you can't beat good ole steel. Mine has already saved me from a ton of costly repairs.

Old 09-27-2007, 02:13 PM

Didn't chevy produce a metal/steal skid plate?

Old 09-27-2007, 02:42 PM

Not that I know of that why I made my own I searched like every possible parts store in like a 4 state radius including those on the good ole internet. You may get lucky but as of right now I don't know of any. My friend who has a blazer just like mine. Is wanting a new one but since the guy I got mine from can't doit anymoreat least for nowunless he can find a welder or another he is kindas**t out of luck.

Old 09-27-2007, 04:54 PM

I went down to the shop and we are going to make one out of steel and chrome it. Its gonna cost me around 140 bucks, cheaper than the one i bought from chevy.

Old 09-27-2007, 06:48 PM

I telling you it will be awesome. Make sure you make it mount so it can be pulled off so that you can change the oil easy. I figured it would be cheaper than the one you got from the general. Good Luck.

Quick Reply: Skid Plate