General Chat Chat about all things Blazer (and related vehicles). Off-topic stuff should be in the lounge, and all mechanical problems should be posted in the proper forum.

Stance & Tire Suggestions

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2008, 12:39 PM
Ash
Ash is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Stance & Tire Suggestions

What's up guys! I'm kinda new here so please be patient with me. Although I've been following quite a bit of posts here for a while, I haven't asked but a few questions since almost everything I needed to know has already been answered. Yet, I still can't seem to find what I'm looking for....

My Blazer is a 1991 4dr 4x4 auto w/tbi. Nothing special at the moment, but I still love it and would like to take it to the next level (paint, wheels, etc). As of now I have decided on 18" wheels and the standard 255/55-18 tire size. I also want to lower the front just a little to get rid of the rearward rake (if that's the correct terminology). I've got the stock fender flares if that makes any difference for your imagination for I don't have any pics yet.

The front sits up a bit higher and I hate it! I've already put heavy duty shocks on it a while back for a firmer ride and thought it would lift the rear a little. Now I realize that maybe it's the front that needs to come down. I already know about the torsion key drop and how much difference it may get. What I would like to know is is there going to be any rubbing issues with that size wheel & tire combo? Also does anyone have a similar setup so I can see what it looks like? I've been all over car domain and can't find anything like that in a 1st gen except for one guy and for some reason it didn't look right. I don't think he did anything to the suspension though.

I don't want the on the ground look, just the standard slight forward rake that most trucks have and get rid of a hair of fender gap to make the 18's look bigger. Is this possible?

Here's pics of what I would like to be in between. The first is the stance I'd like, but maybe with a little (not very much) less gap. I think those are 17" inch wheels..... The second is way too low, but I do like the way his wheels are even with the flares for that wide look. The link to the maroon one is the one that has 255/55-18, but something doesn't look right to me (stance, make of rims or something).

Thanks ahead of time for any suggestions

[IMG]local://upfiles/3007/944143DA99D2459E8713A92CACB2DC41.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/3007/DD7C3648D756426BB201D410103FDB93.jpg[/IMG]

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/520150

Old 09-14-2008, 01:38 PM
BF Veteran
TripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: Stance & Tire Suggestions

The wheel well opening extends higher into the fender on nearly all trucks (and cars for that matter) to allow more space for the tires to turn, which is probably what you are seeing that does not look right. I have not heard of anyone having rubbing issues after a torsion bar drop with 18`s, but you can ask TheBrettster if he had any issues with his drop before he lifted his truck.

Some people have issues with hitting the bumpstops when they lower using the torsion bars.

Old 09-14-2008, 02:37 PM
Ash

Well, maybe it's because his stance is still higher in the front than the back,the lack of fender flares, or from that angle it looks like the bars on his wheel extend past the rest of the wheel & tire. Don't know, but I've looked at other vehicles other than blazers that have the 255/55-18 and they seemed a lot different. Less wall or something.

I really do like the look of the first one with the silver rims, just needs more meat on the tires and slightly less fender gap to give it a more mean look. That's what I want to shoot for, not a lowrider. No offense anyone....

Old 09-14-2008, 02:46 PM
BF Veteran
WolfPack has a spectacular aura aboutWolfPack has a spectacular aura aboutWolfPack has a spectacular aura about

You've got 'rear-ward rake' because your rear leaf springs are pretty far gone. You need to either get them re-arched, get an add-a-leaf, or get new leaf packs. Since you want the lower stance, you probably wouldnt opt for #2, but the first would return to OEM stance. #3 would give you the option of buying lowered leaf packs, giving you a nice ride, with the lowered stance.

Those pics though look like 19s or 20s.

I can assure you those are 255/55/18s...and I see much more rubber than those pics you posted.

Old 09-14-2008, 08:21 PM
Ash

Hmmm... Interesting point there Wolfpack. I thought at one time the rear leafs may be weak, but at the same time when I bought the truck it had timberlines on it. Wasn't sure if the keys had been cranked a bit or what. I'll have to look into that.

You're right about the sizes in the pics... The second lowered blazer is definitely 20 inch low pro's. The raked blazer says they are C5 vette rims. I can't find those exact ones, but I think they only came in 17" & 18 x 9.5" in the C5 series? Isn't that awfully wide to run on these trucks? Definitely got to be running low pro's too.

The third kinda puzzles me. The pic you posted has a different look than the maroon blazer with 255/55-18. Could it be the way the rims are made especially when the vette rims and your pic's are pretty much flat? Getting confused here..... Am I looking at them wrong? Have no clue on how to get that look.

Aha! I just caught something. The maroon blazer's rims are only 7.5 wide and the bars seem to stick out near the lip and go back in around the lugs. Is it the width and the way the bars are made that is giving it that look?

Old 09-18-2008, 09:03 AM
Starting Member
GeorgesBlazah is an unknown quantity at this point

I would lift it a lil and put te bigger wheels on with a bigger tire. Drops are for 2wds

Old 09-18-2008, 04:03 PM
Ash

That biased advise is pretty old & tired. Everyone has their own tastes and should be respected for wanting to be individual. Besides, I'm not doing a "drop". I want to simply lower it an inch or two to give the effect that I'm rolling on bigger wheels without the disadvantage of doing so. What is wrong with that?

Been really looking for some real pointers, but I guess no one is willing to give any so this may be a solo venture.