General Chat Chat about all things Blazer (and related vehicles). Off-topic stuff should be in the lounge, and all mechanical problems should be posted in the proper forum.

Stripping an 02 Astro

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2017, 04:11 PM
Starting Member
DARK1 is on a distinguished road
Default Stripping an 02 Astro

I've got a wrecked Astro in my front yard I gotta get rid of. I heard the steering boxes are ideal for SAS. It has a terrific low milage 4.3 Vortec in it but I don't have the necessary equipment to pull it. Does anybody know what I should strip off to save some dough with my Blazer 4.3 in the future?

Old 02-19-2017, 11:01 PM
Super Moderator
rexmburns has a spectacular aura aboutrexmburns has a spectacular aura aboutrexmburns has a spectacular aura about

Steering box for sure, pull the hydro boost many folks like to swap those and pull anything you can off the motor and tuck it away for later if you can't get the entire motor out.

Old 02-20-2017, 03:49 AM
Rusty Nuts is on a distinguished road

Snag the instrument cluster and the wiring harness for something to test and play with.

Old 02-20-2017, 07:24 AM
Starting Member

Thanx a lot guys. I sure would hate to need an expensive part that I gave away in this wreck....

I replaced the Pitman arm about 20k ago. I'm hopin' I don't have to rent the tool again. Vans are always tougher to work on than trucks so I try to do what I can. The county is after me to get rid of it so I went after the easiest first - the 02 sensors. They are always tough because of the heat. I rounded them off with no success.

The cluster s/b fairly easy since I have been pulling them at the yard to match up my 96. 95/96 are unique. I guess I could always trade it off with someone for something else. I suppose I can take as much of the harness as I can reach. any other ideas ?

Oh, and what is a "hydro-boost?"

Old 02-20-2017, 10:13 PM
BF Veteran
AJBert is a jewel in the roughAJBert is a jewel in the roughAJBert is a jewel in the rough

Hydro boost is what powers the power steering. Connects with the master cylinder for the brakes. If the power steering has its own pump and reservoir like what is on your Blazer, skip it. If the van does have hydro boost steering, pull everything.

Old 02-21-2017, 06:13 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by AJBert
Hydro boost is what powers the power steering. Connects with the master cylinder for the brakes. If the power steering has its own pump and reservoir like what is on your Blazer, skip it. If the van does have hydro boost steering, pull everything.
Hydro boost is a power steering pump powered brake booster. The component between the master cylinder and the firewall does not power the power steering rather the other way around. I have a hydro boost setup from an Astro and it had the same power steering pump arrangement as my old Bravada.

Old 02-21-2017, 12:56 PM
BF Veteran
abig84 will become famous soon enoughabig84 will become famous soon enough

if its leather interior the 47-53 chevy truck guys use the rear bench seat for their front bench seat. not quite sure if many want the cloth

Old 02-21-2017, 07:45 PM
Starting Member

Originally Posted by swartlkk
Hydro boost is a power steering pump powered brake booster. The component between the master cylinder and the firewall does not power the power steering rather the other way around. I have a hydro boost setup from an Astro and it had the same power steering pump arrangement as my old Bravada.
My Blazer has many more luxuries than the Astro. The Master cylinder in the Blazer looks simple on top but everything under and around it is foriegn to me. My Blazer power steering has been whining lately I added Dex/Merc to quiet it down but still whines a little. Maybe I should have put brake fluid in?

Old 02-21-2017, 08:20 PM
Starting Member

Originally Posted by abig84
if its leather interior the 47-53 chevy truck guys use the rear bench seat for their front bench seat. not quite sure if many want the cloth
My LT is the honey tan color. I pass up rear seats pretty regular and even scored a passenger bucket 10 days ago. Drivers seats are rarely in good shape....

Old 02-21-2017, 08:57 PM
BF Veteran
AJBert is a jewel in the roughAJBert is a jewel in the roughAJBert is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by swartlkk
!
Dang, now I went and learned something today! That means I'll be forgetting something else to fit this into my head!

Good to know, I always thought it was the other way around.