General Chat Chat about all things Blazer (and related vehicles). Off-topic stuff should be in the lounge, and all mechanical problems should be posted in the proper forum.

thanks , sarcastic font required

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2013, 12:08 AM
Toby Hanson will become famous soon enough

Wait—you mean my wife isn't the only one who volunteers me for free work for other people?

One time she volunteered me to build a fence for her parents the day after coming home from a big weekend of gigging in Eastern Washington. I wasn't too happy about that one.

Old 05-28-2013, 08:02 AM
BF Veteran
warthogdriver is a jewel in the roughwarthogdriver is a jewel in the roughwarthogdriver is a jewel in the roughwarthogdriver is a jewel in the rough

i used to do side work..i am starting to pull away. at first it was good for some spare cash...now i get asked for all sorts of things and the pay rate is way down. one guy i know wanted me to drop the axle on his lincoln, remove the stock air ride and swap it to coils. i also was expected to pick up the parts....all for pizza and some beer. now if he were a close friend...sure...but he is a friend of a friend...and a moocher. turned that down. it is not worth it sometimes....plus if anything else goes wrong on the job, they assume you broke it...cause nothing ever wears out.

Old 05-28-2013, 07:02 PM
BF Veteran
cleburne red will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by abig84
everyone always needs their car that night too which always sucks. if they could leave it for at least a day i might consider it but yeah i stray from side work if i can help it
I always tell them, sure, I'll work on it, but it will be this weekend, at the earliest. I have school after work, and without a garage, it's pretty hard to work on cars in the dark.

I find I would almost rather work on other peoples cars than my own. If I'm working on mine, it means something broke, and now i'm down a car. If it's someone elses, then mine are intact and drivable!

Old 05-28-2013, 07:53 PM
BF Veteran
richphotos has a spectacular aura aboutrichphotos has a spectacular aura aboutrichphotos has a spectacular aura about

I just started telling people if I am going to work on any car, its going to be modding or fixing something on my own.

Old 05-28-2013, 09:11 PM
BF Veteran
warthogdriver is a jewel in the roughwarthogdriver is a jewel in the roughwarthogdriver is a jewel in the roughwarthogdriver is a jewel in the rough

yeah, today i got a call from a friends dad (65 yrs old)..said he broke a tie rod...the one i swapped last fall. first thought was not likely. so i get there and he broke the lower ball joint and trashed the upper. so that was my afternoon. i inspected the rest of his front end...its all pretty much on the way out. i can see him calling me soon for that. i dont mind so much but he had it towed to his home garage and called me...didnt even bother calling a shop, mind you its his only car...so he assumed i would just drop everything and come over...that is the part that pissed me off...i have nothing better to do on my day off in his mind i guess.

Old 05-29-2013, 01:48 AM
ohsofly will become famous soon enoughohsofly will become famous soon enough

I dont like being volunteered. Last time I did brakes for a friends wife, she cheaped out on the parts I said it needs and didnt want to do the lines and brake flush... A month later she blew a brake line and had to have it towed. The tow costed more than the brake lines and fluid would have... I dont like half-doing a job, so its all the parts I say it needs, or do it yourself.

As for voluntolding by the wife, thats grounds for forced-**** and a bad mood from me for a few days.

Old 05-29-2013, 10:19 AM
BF Veteran
El_Beautor will become famous soon enoughEl_Beautor will become famous soon enough

Between my work, my family, and my own volunteer scouting work, I don't get a whole lot of "spare" time. My wife knows better than to try and volunteer me for something without asking first. As for side jobs my policy is I always quote my overtime rate from work plus 25%. When I was younger and had more spare time it wasn't a big deal, but now my time is way more valuable to me.