General Chat Chat about all things Blazer (and related vehicles). Off-topic stuff should be in the lounge, and all mechanical problems should be posted in the proper forum.

Thermostat Housing Gasket

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2009, 01:17 PM
Starting Member
carterx is on a distinguished road
Default Thermostat Housing Gasket

So when I had my rad replaced in Alberta he also replaced the thermostat and all was good. I got to Ontario to find that I was leaking. Got it to a shop and they said that the leak was due to there being no gasket around the Thermostat Housing. Once replaced we drove all the way to NS.

I just called the shop in Alberta now that installed the rad and talked to the tech. He says that this model truck does not require a gasket for the Thermostat Housing. He said that the Thermostat it self inside the housing has a gasket.

So I guess my question is ...... with a 95 4dr 4x4 Blazer, with the Thermostat Housing, should there be a gasket or not?

Once the leak was found the tech that was looking at it found a gasket that was made to fit it and put it on and stopped leaks. So it's odd to me that there is a gasket made to fit it but the first tech says no, this truck is not supposed to have one. So all he had put was some paste/sealant to help make a seal without a gasket which I figured helped for a bit.

Thanks,

Old 06-11-2009, 07:08 PM
Starting Member
carterx is on a distinguished road

anyone have an idea for this?

Old 06-11-2009, 08:21 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Geez man... 6 Hours... Please have patience.

The thermostat on your truck should have already came with a rubber gasket around the perimeter of the thermostat itself. This should be sufficient to seal the interface. If this gasket was misplaced or damaged, it would likely leak.

Installing a paper gasket between the two larger surfaces is a sure fire way to seal the leak, but just is not necessary when things are assembled properly. Sounds like mechanic #1 screwed up and mechanic #2 did not really know what he was talking about, but was still able to repair it for you.