General Chat Chat about all things Blazer (and related vehicles). Off-topic stuff should be in the lounge, and all mechanical problems should be posted in the proper forum.

which tires for 2 snow chains on 4x4?

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2017, 12:47 PM
Beginning Member
medicineman2011 is on a distinguished road
Default which tires for 2 snow chains on 4x4?

98 gmc jimmy, 4.3 v6, which tires are pulling when I hit the gas? which ones should I put the snow chains on? thanks.

Old 01-06-2017, 11:02 PM
Starting Member
2004 Blazer is on a distinguished road

If going uphill put on front if going downhill put on back.

Old 12-28-2017, 12:24 PM
Beginning Member
medicineman2011 is on a distinguished road

it will be mostly flat highway. should i have one on the front right, and one on the left back? are those the ones that do the pulling?

Old 12-28-2017, 01:48 PM
BF Veteran
christine_208 will become famous soon enough

Interesting question: I'll be interested to hear what other think.

For me, I don't use chains unless I'm in deep snow or on ice, like on a logging road in the woods. For those situations I'm normally going slow and definitely putting them on the front, as that is where I was taught to put them. For this type of driving I use actual link-chains.

For more extended driving like on a highway? I don't use any chains and run in Auto 4wd or just 4Hi. Of course you have to have the right tires do that. I think I still would be inclined to put them on the front, especially if they were cable chains and I was in 4wd. If I only had 2wd I'd put the chains on the back.

For comparison, on a front-wheel drive car, wouldn't the chains go on the front?

If you really want control put cable chains on all four?

Then again, "back in the day" I was pretty good at driving a 71 Dodge Dart over Santiam Pass in Oregon using link-chains on the rear wheels.

Last edited by christine_208; 12-28-2017 at 01:54 PM.
Old 12-28-2017, 02:25 PM
odat is on a distinguished road

Power transfers from one side to the other so if only one chain is used on a diff. the unchained tire will spin. with a 4x4 in 4wd you are best to chain all four to keep the gear ratios even

Old 12-28-2017, 09:40 PM
BF Veteran
Tom A will become famous soon enough

Depending on the chain type, you may not have enough clearance in the front. Personally, I would probably run them in the rear if I had to choose.

Old 12-28-2017, 09:56 PM
BF Veteran
christine_208 will become famous soon enough

Right, so I found thes suggestions: For road driving, and especially if you have a locking rear differential, put them on the rear tires even when in 4wd.

First link with explanations:TIRE CHAINS, SNOWCHAINS & SNOWcables -- proper placement

and second link:
https://www.etrailer.com/question-34113.html
Should Snow Chains be Installed on the Front or Rear of a 4 Wheel Drive Toyota FJ Cruiser
Question:
I have a 4x4 FJ Cruiser and wanted to know if two chains will work and if so then do I put them on the front or rear? Thank you

asked by: Stephen

Expert Reply:
When adding snow chains on your 4 wheel drive Toyota FJ Cruiser, you can add one set of tire chains to either set of drive wheels. Some people like to add chains to the front because the vehicle engine puts more weight over the front axle and allows the chains to dig into the snow and ice better. This might be a good option, but if your vehicle is equipped with a limited slip rear end and the front end is not limited slip, most likely not, you would be better off with the chains on the rear tires.

Keep in mind that if you add the chains to the front tires on the FJ Cruiser they will not be effective if the vehicle is not in 4 wheel drive mode. For this reason we normally recommend using the snow chains on the main drive wheels of the vehicle, which in this case would be the rear tires.

You can use our year-make-model fitguide to select the correct snow chains for you FJ Cruiser, see link, and if your tire size does not come up you can input the tire size in the drop down boxes provided on that page.

expert reply by: Bob G