General Chat Chat about all things Blazer (and related vehicles). Off-topic stuff should be in the lounge, and all mechanical problems should be posted in the proper forum.

Tool chest and tools

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2016, 07:52 PM
GreenCnC is on a distinguished road
Default Tool chest and tools

How is everyone doing tonight? Feels good out right now in houston.

Was wondering of the diff peoples garage set up. What tool brands yall use and why, tool chests as well. Going to be getting me a set up soon and wanted to hear some of yalls opinions. Will be happy to read about it.

Old 10-15-2016, 07:57 PM
BF Veteran
richphotos has a spectacular aura aboutrichphotos has a spectacular aura aboutrichphotos has a spectacular aura about

I only use craftsman, I live in an apartment so I get the sets that have a carry case with them since I cant have a tool chest.

I like craftsman because of the lifetime warranty, I can bring anything broken to sears and get a new one replaced no questions asked.

Old 10-15-2016, 08:01 PM
GreenCnC is on a distinguished road

Ya Im leaning towards Husky brand, cause got that 432 piece set i was planning on saving for, figured id never need another socket or wrench that way. Plus the people at my sears arent that great haha. Husky also has lifetime warranty.

Old 10-15-2016, 08:45 PM
BF Veteran
richphotos has a spectacular aura aboutrichphotos has a spectacular aura aboutrichphotos has a spectacular aura about

I have heard that about the people at sears. I got lucky with the multiple that are close to me.

Old 10-17-2016, 01:29 PM
BF Veteran
abig84 will become famous soon enoughabig84 will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by richphotos
I only use craftsman, I live in an apartment so I get the sets that have a carry case with them since I cant have a tool chest.

I like craftsman because of the lifetime warranty, I can bring anything broken to sears and get a new one replaced no questions asked.
i used to use nothing but craftsman as we had a sears hardware like 4 blocks away. now the closest place is like 20 minutes away

i have stuff by every brand, everything from harbor freight to snapon and matco

Old 10-23-2016, 10:34 PM
Groundunit is on a distinguished road

I've got a zombie set of things I've picked up along the way. Sometimes I just needed a tool quickly and autozone was right around the way! So I've got a set of craftsman line of wrenches (the black and grey ones), a duralast breaker bar, another set of the same type of craftsmen 1/2" sockets and ratchet, a bunch of old 1/4" and 3/8" that my dad had, craftsman 3/8" ratchet, duralast 1/4" fine-tooth ratchet, a duralast 36mm cv axle socket, duralast extension bars, and random little tools I've picked up along the way. That's just in my toolbox for working on my blazer. I have a Pittsburgh floor jack that works GREAT. Doubted it at first, but after using it so many times I've decided that that's one thing they make right. I have a pair of duralast 6 ton jackstands that are all right, but where you need to place them on the driver side frame rail they will bend the frame. It's just because of how wide it is on that side though. For wheel chocks, I just have some cut up 4x4 wood. Plenty of other tools also that work well. Maybe not for a shop setting where the highest quality is necessary, but for working in the driveway you can't beat them.

Old 10-23-2016, 10:36 PM
Groundunit is on a distinguished road

Another note is that I think the individual sets are much better than the large sets that all brands have. They try to reach a certain price and sacrifice quality along the way. I've seen sockets and ratchets break from those kind of sets.

Old 10-30-2016, 03:33 AM
error_401 is on a distinguished road

Toolcraft trolley fully equipped (good price/value) Tools are mostly o.k. and can hold a hobbyists messing around.

Over 30 years of hobby mechanic life I've assembled quite a bit of tools of high quality which have been interspersed into the trolley. The most important tools are double sets at least.

Screwdrivers from PB (Baumann Switzerland) - my preferred brand for all which has to be turned by hand. Some STAHLWILLE HD 1/2" stuff. STAHLWILLE torque wrench.

Set of different MITUTOYO dial gauges.
Near complete set of MITUTOYO bore gauges from 1/2" to 5".
Near complete set of MAHR micrometers from 0 - 5".

Some special stuff like bearing scraper set.

So far this is all metric tools.
Add a complete set of inch wrenches, allen keys etc.
Good electric tool set (drills, saws, polishing machines) including sheet-metal cutter.

Complete set of engine blueprinting stuff like cam followers, fixtures for dial gauges, Inch dial gauge, some specialized measuring stuff like valve spring micrometer or pushrod lenght checkers.
Some more specialized stuff like fuel pressure gauge, coolant analzyer and stuff.

Hardly ever broke a tool - but I attribute that to my tendency to try, stop, see, and change tooling rather than to break something.

I do not like a specific brand more than others. While SNAP-ON is truly great stuff for my part i do not like their screw drivers and ratchets. My best assembly would be SNAP-ON to fit over the bolt and STAHLWILLE at the handle end. But that would be mighty expensive for a mere part time mechanic.