General Chat Chat about all things Blazer (and related vehicles). Off-topic stuff should be in the lounge, and all mechanical problems should be posted in the proper forum.

Towing-should I get tanny cooler

Old 12-03-2008, 12:24 AM
Starting Member
fondo has a little shameless behavior in the past
Default Towing-should I get tanny cooler

I'm gonna be towing some sleds this winter on a 2 place trailer and was wondering if I should install a transmission cooler. I'm not aware of any remote tranny cooler already on the vehicle (haven't looked really hard) but don't the transmission lines go into the radiator and that's where all the cooling is happening? Is this cooling system only sufficient for the load that the tranny experiences during normal, everyday operation. Since it is winter would I still be advised to install a tranny cooler. Thanks for any and all input...
Oh yeah I have a '93 olds bravada AWD (as my sig says) w/ 4L60E tranny.

Old 12-03-2008, 05:31 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: Towing-should I get tanny cooler

If you will only be towing in the winter, you do not need to get an add-on cooler. The passenger side tank on the radiator will be quite cool during the winter months and more than sufficient to cool the transmission fluid. The stock cooler is quite efficient as the coolant has a lot more heat transfer potential than a liquid to air heat exchanger that all add-on units are. In the summer months, you can overload the stock cooler though.

Old 12-03-2008, 08:47 AM
Starting Member
fondo has a little shameless behavior in the past
Default RE: Towing-should I get tanny cooler

Ya that's what I was thinking too. Thanks for the clarification.[sm=exactly.gif]