General Chat Chat about all things Blazer (and related vehicles). Off-topic stuff should be in the lounge, and all mechanical problems should be posted in the proper forum.

Using Overdrive in City Driving?

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2013, 12:36 PM
Starting Member
phxjosh is on a distinguished road
Default Using Overdrive in City Driving?

I have never had a car that has overdrive, do you guys using it on the freeway only or all the time? I do 100% city driving currently since my job is only 7 miles each way.

Sometimes I feel like it's trying to find a gear, but it does shift pretty smothly.

Old 05-31-2013, 12:59 PM
LeWhite will become famous soon enough

I dont warm up my motor for 5 minutes as some do. About the 15 sec it takes to get out of the driveway is all it gets. What I will do is make sure that the motor doesnt get to OD til it shows some temp on the guage which is about three minutes . No lugging and no racing for five minutes.

Old 05-31-2013, 01:11 PM
Starting Member

Originally Posted by LeWhite
I dont warm up my motor for 5 minutes as some do. About the 15 sec it takes to get out of the driveway is all it gets. What I will do is make sure that the motor doesnt get to OD til it shows some temp on the guage which is about three minutes . No lugging and no racing for five minutes.
I don't warm up my mother for more than about a minute before I take off, I live in Arizona so it's usually pretty warm to begin with.

So you don't drive in OD until the motor is warmed up?

Old 05-31-2013, 02:00 PM
4X4GS10B is on a distinguished road

I start mine do a walk around about 30 sec get in put it in drive and go...

Old 05-31-2013, 02:41 PM
BF Veteran
El_Beautor will become famous soon enoughEl_Beautor will become famous soon enough

It might be all in my head, but I feel for city driving when I do not use OD the shifts are more responsive, and I don't have as much hesitation while it upshifts when accelerating after coasting.

Old 05-31-2013, 02:58 PM
Starting Member

That's the feeling I got driving it this morning, the shifts were not all that responsive, and it's pretty slow at accelerating. In drive it feels like a beast.

Seems like the consensus is to only use OD on the freeway? Does using Drive effect the MPG?

Old 05-31-2013, 03:20 PM
Diaita will become famous soon enough

I use D around town. The torque converter locks up quicker, keeping it cooler. Also while going down hills the compression braking works far better. My logic is it will reduce wear on the trans and brakes. Does it make a difference, who knows, but the first set of brakes lasted for 110k miles, and the trans still works like new.

Old 05-31-2013, 03:24 PM
BF Veteran
richphotos has a spectacular aura aboutrichphotos has a spectacular aura aboutrichphotos has a spectacular aura about

hmm interesting, might start using just drive around town, and OD if I am going to go on the highway

Old 05-31-2013, 03:48 PM
Starting Member

Originally Posted by Diaita
I use D around town. The torque converter locks up quicker, keeping it cooler. Also while going down hills the compression braking works far better. My logic is it will reduce wear on the trans and brakes. Does it make a difference, who knows, but the first set of brakes lasted for 110k miles, and the trans still works like new.
Thanks for the tip, I think I am going to just use D from now on.

How did you get 110k out of the brakes? I blow through pads on most of my cars every 30-50k.

Old 05-31-2013, 04:46 PM
Diaita will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by phxjosh
Thanks for the tip, I think I am going to just use D from now on.

How did you get 110k out of the brakes? I blow through pads on most of my cars every 30-50k.
I'm not sure... I live in a small town, so not much stop and go. I have heard of a lot of people with brakes that last very well on the S series. I've only bought 2 sets of brakes for it, one about 6-8 years ago that replaced the originals, and the last set when i swapped axles last year. When I removed the IFS the brake pads were at least 1/2, maybe 2/3.

Quick Reply: Using Overdrive in City Driving?