General Chat Chat about all things Blazer (and related vehicles). Off-topic stuff should be in the lounge, and all mechanical problems should be posted in the proper forum.

valve body?

Old 08-05-2007, 03:53 PM
blazerboy124 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default valve body?

where would i find a valve body for a 97 blazer tranny? how much do they cost? would it be better to just rebuild the tranny? or to just completely replace the tranny?

Old 08-14-2007, 11:10 PM
BF Veteran
Hanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: valve body?

Bad valve body already?
Best place would be a tranny shop that sells parts or GM dealer.
Replace the vavle body and do the rebuild. you can build it stronger and better then factory, or buy a rebuilt aftermarkter tranny. Don't buy a rebuilt or new tranny unless you get one hell of a factory warrenty on it. Check with your local GM dealer. They are offering a 100,000 mile warrenty on new/rebuilt factory units regardless of who installs it. Helped a buddy put one in last summer.

Old 08-15-2007, 04:49 PM

how much woulda valve body cost from a dealership, also how much would it be to have it installed. im only 17, never taken apart a tranny, dont really want to mess it up. no one i know has ever taken one apart either, how hard is it to do by yourself. how long did it take you

Old 08-16-2007, 05:42 PM
BF Veteran
Hanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond repute

tranny work is not for the inexpeirienced mechanics. Its the most complicated part on the truck. Engine rebuilds are easier. I don't recommend you tackle it without expert guidance.

Vavle body cost depends on where you get it and if its new or rebuilt. I got a hell of a deal on the one for my '87, it was used and from a tranny parts supplier with a tranny shop discount, $85. Otherwise your looking at a couple c notes.

Why do you think its your valve body?

Old 08-16-2007, 08:58 PM

well i didnt know what the heck it was untill i posted a thread on the forum asking why it kicked from first to second, i was told it is the valve body to tell you the truth, i had no idea there were even valves in the tranny. but it doesnt always kick from first to second, if im between 1500 RPM and 2000 RPMwhen it shift's it doesnt kick but if im anywhere above 2500 it kicks like a muel....i think it was jigg that told me valve body.

Old 08-16-2007, 09:57 PM
BF Veteran

The tranny will shift gears (under light-medium trottle) at 15, 30, 45. This anywhere close?

The rpms will vary depending on how much you got your foot into it.

Old 08-17-2007, 01:36 PM

yeah, the more throttle i give it the harder it shifts...so basically the higher the rpm the harder the shift...thats not normal is it?

Old 08-17-2007, 11:27 PM
BF Veteran

Sounds like you have a shift kit. It will make the tranny shift fast, some interpret this as hard. The longer it takes to shift the more slippage, slippage causes heat, and heat ruins transmissions. You want a tranny that shifts fast. And yes, if you have a shift kit, the harder you got your fot in it the harder it will shift and the higher the rp,s will be when she dos shift.

Old 08-19-2007, 03:50 PM

yeah, i know that i dont have a shift kit in because the person i bought it from was like 50 so....i doubt he put a shift kit in. i'll call him up and ask him if he noticed anything or did anything to the tranny, (he's a family friend) and we'll go from there

Old 08-20-2007, 09:37 PM
BF Veteran

I would be close to his age, and we would both be around when the muscle car era was in full swing. :biggrin

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: valve body?