General Chat Chat about all things Blazer (and related vehicles). Off-topic stuff should be in the lounge, and all mechanical problems should be posted in the proper forum.

What to do

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2009, 10:48 PM
FoxTrota is an unknown quantity at this point
Default What to do

Okay, my friend's mom had a 98 Bravada, almost a year ago she had trouble with it, go into and accident and said screw the car. She left it in a parking lot and after a month she had it towed to my aunts house to keep it there.

She doesn't want it anymore and shes given it to me because i want a project. The first problem (among many i probably will face) is how the hell to get this unregistered vehicle to my house 9 miles away.

My friend has a tow truck but hes got problems and im tired of dealing with it i just want this damn car at my house. Anyone have advice on the best way to get this car to my house?

I assume flatbed would be the best way. I have AAA and they flatbed towed my blazer a few months back when my wheel came off. I was thinking about calling them, but im hearing AAA won't tow it if your not stranded (the cars obviously been sitting there for a while) + i dont have the title yet.

I'd go with a local towing company but i don't exactly have the money to do this, so im looking for the most cost effective way to tow this thing. I could pay for it by credit card but i have no cash at the moment.

looking for any advice.

Last edited by FoxTrota; 03-20-2009 at 12:52 AM.
Old 03-20-2009, 07:07 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

You have pretty much covered everything.

You could rent a tow dolly and disconnect the rear driveshaft for the trip, but that would cost money and you would need a vehicle with a hitch. And then you would need a way to get the truck up on the dolly (if it is not running).

Old 03-20-2009, 11:59 AM
Starting Member
W2JGA is an unknown quantity at this point

Funny that you mention that Kyle. I was just perusing the U-Haul website last night looking at the single, and dual axle towing options. The single axle dolly costs around $18 a day. But be prepared to show the clerk that you have a decent size vehicle to tow the Bravada with, they may not let you rent it. Or, you could tell them your pulling a Pinto with it.

Old 03-20-2009, 01:19 PM

hmm, would my s10 be okay to tow with?

Old 03-20-2009, 02:35 PM
Starting Member

S-10 pickup? Flat land, NO hills, and no overdrive. Risky yes, doable, yea. Stay away from rush hour traffic.

U-haul may say no. Depends on who you deal with.

I know in NY, only way to tow another vehicle is either tow dolly or a tow bar. Chains and ropes are a no no.

Old 03-21-2009, 03:35 AM

Well after long consideration and anger, im gonna let my friend and his dad tow it cause im not in the best financial situation, and he kinda owes me for flat towing his Camaro with my Blazer.

This tow trucks only gonna be lifting the front wheels, since its AWD what needs to be done to accomplish this w/o damaging the Bravada? Disconnecting the rear drive shaft?

Old 03-21-2009, 03:50 AM
Starting Member

Yep, just as Swartlkk has mentioned in his previous post, just drop the drive shaft and your ready to go. Just make sure you follow safety procedures before and after towing while that drives shaft is out. IE chock blocks.
Good luck, hope you get it home in one piece.