General Chat Chat about all things Blazer (and related vehicles). Off-topic stuff should be in the lounge, and all mechanical problems should be posted in the proper forum.

what have you gotten done on your blazer today?

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2015, 08:17 PM
mr.vls will become famous soon enough
Default Serpentine Belt

Replaced the serpentine belt on my 89 S15 Jimmy 2WD.

Old 04-26-2015, 06:23 PM
Starting Member
Bagherra is on a distinguished road

Ordered front hub bearings. Should be this week.. Weekend project for me?

From what I've heard and read, its pretty straightforward...any pointers?
I'm guessing 2-3 hrs and a 6-pack to complete?

Old 04-27-2015, 07:22 AM
Starting Member
Franco is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by Bagherra
Ordered front hub bearings. Should be this week.. Weekend project for me?

From what I've heard and read, its pretty straightforward...any pointers?
I'm guessing 2-3 hrs and a 6-pack to complete?
Two hours if you haven't done it before... might not get through the 6-pack before you're done...

You need an 18mm wrench and a 36mm socket for the axle nut. The socket may feel loose, but it will work. Douse the back of the hub with Master Blaster where it pokes through the back of the steering knuckle, as it has a tendency to rust.

Remove the axle nut, flip it over, and put it back on just far enough that the flat surface is flush with the end of the axle. Then I'll put a scrap of 6x6 or similar up against it and whack with a sledge hammer to loosen the axle splines. This gives a nice surface to hit while preventing damage to the threads.

I put the box end of an 18mm combo wrench on the bolts and hit it with a hammer to break them loose. If the hub is rusted in, I will carefully tap a cold chisel in between the hub flange and backing plate/knuckle to start it moving outward. Spritz it with CRC or Master Blaster.

Have fun!

Old 04-27-2015, 11:01 AM
BF Veteran
newguy will become famous soon enoughnewguy will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Franco
Two hours if you haven't done it before... might not get through the 6-pack before you're done...

You need an 18mm wrench and a 36mm socket for the axle nut. The socket may feel loose, but it will work. Douse the back of the hub with Master Blaster where it pokes through the back of the steering knuckle, as it has a tendency to rust.

Remove the axle nut, flip it over, and put it back on just far enough that the flat surface is flush with the end of the axle. Then I'll put a scrap of 6x6 or similar up against it and whack with a sledge hammer to loosen the axle splines. This gives a nice surface to hit while preventing damage to the threads.

I put the box end of an 18mm combo wrench on the bolts and hit it with a hammer to break them loose. If the hub is rusted in, I will carefully tap a cold chisel in between the hub flange and backing plate/knuckle to start it moving outward. Spritz it with CRC or Master Blaster.

Have fun!
once you`ve done it once, about an hour. If you like cranking tbars, you`ll get good at it LOL

Old 04-27-2015, 12:02 PM
Starting Member
Bagherra is on a distinguished road

So I won't need one of those pullers? Thought I read somewhere that when removing the CV axles, you'd need a puller or separator to get the axle off the bearing?

Any need to replace to hub bolts or axle nut?

Old 04-27-2015, 12:36 PM
BF Veteran

Originally Posted by Bagherra
So I won't need one of those pullers? Thought I read somewhere that when removing the CV axles, you'd need a puller or separator to get the axle off the bearing?

Any need to replace to hub bolts or axle nut?

no need

Old 04-27-2015, 02:04 PM
Beginning Member
esquire is on a distinguished road

Just my .02 but a 35mm is the perfect fit and in my experience it makes for a much easier removal of the axel nut. And if you don't have one you can rent one for free.

Old 04-27-2015, 02:34 PM
Starting Member
Franco is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by esquire
Just my .02 but a 35mm is the perfect fit and in my experience it makes for a much easier removal of the axel nut. And if you don't have one you can rent one for free.
It seems like 35mm would fit. There are threads on here about it and IIRC, the consensus was that a 35mm socket doesn't always work... so I bought a 36 to play it safe.

Forgot to mention that it's easiest to pop the cap off and loosen the axle nut with the wheel still on the ground.

Old 04-27-2015, 05:13 PM
BF Veteran

New hi lift mounts I like em

Attached Thumbnails what have you gotten done on your blazer today?-100_1373.jpg  
Old 04-28-2015, 08:10 AM
Smitty Smithsonite is on a distinguished road

Just FYI for anyone that lives where they salt the roads in winter - you'll spend all of 2 hours on ONE hub trying to remove it from the knuckle after the bolts are removed. Some can be a real pain in the ***.

I just did a pair on my '07 Silverado - only has 75k miles on it, and still spent about 15 minutes pounding & prying on each side before they popped out. then another 10 minutes on each side wire wheeling and sanding the rust off the mating surface. I bought this thing brand new off the showroom floor, and have taken care of it the best I can the past 8 years.

Nothing is easy in the northeast ...

Just to answer on the S10's - yes, a 35mm deep socket does indeed fit perfectly. A 36 is a little sloppy.

Last edited by Smitty Smithsonite; 04-28-2015 at 08:12 AM.

Quick Reply: what have you gotten done on your blazer today?