General Chat Chat about all things Blazer (and related vehicles). Off-topic stuff should be in the lounge, and all mechanical problems should be posted in the proper forum.

what have you gotten done on your blazer today?

Old 01-04-2017, 01:51 PM
BF Veteran
newguy will become famous soon enoughnewguy will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Ridge
I'm installing a stereo in my truck today to replace the one already in there (it was bought aftermarket in 1987, still got all the paperwork) and I've run into a snag with the wiring.

I've been able to identify left front and right front, but the rest is a mystery to me. Any ideas?

try this https://www.google.com/search?newwin...pa8skUXCdpM%3A

Old 01-04-2017, 02:46 PM
Beginning Member
french69ssrs is on a distinguished road
Default what have you gotten done on your blazer today?

Hi All
I just Finished Relocating my Son's 2002 ZR-2 Blazer Rear Spare Tire.

He told me the Tire was in the way when looking out the Back, then I drove it - Wow, I can fix that !
I looked here on the Blazer Forum and the Net, did not see anything other than a Plate that lowered it a few Inches.

I lowered it 7 1/2", the Tire now rests on the Flat part of the Step Bumper and we can Open the Rear Window without having to release the Spare Tire Carrier.

The Bracket is Offset 6" so I laid out my Cut Lines using the Profile of the Carrier Bracket Tubing, Flipped it upside down and Welded everything up.

I bought a Nice Marker Plate Bracket and Light, I will mount that to the Side.
And I will be looking to add a 5 Gal Jerry Can and HiLift Jack too.

I took plenty of Pictures and will make a Separate Post for anyone who would like to see how I did it.

Timmy

Attached Thumbnails what have you gotten done on your blazer today?-102_4875.jpg   what have you gotten done on your blazer today?-patricks-spare-tire-done.jpg  

Last edited by french69ssrs; 01-04-2017 at 02:52 PM.
Old 01-04-2017, 03:25 PM
BF Veteran
Thogert has a spectacular aura aboutThogert has a spectacular aura aboutThogert has a spectacular aura about

I'm installing a stereo in my truck today to replace the one already in there (it was bought aftermarket in 1987, still got all the paperwork) and I've run into a snag with the wiring.

I've been able to identify left front and right front, but the rest is a mystery to me. Any ideas?

*snip*
If you can identify which wires are the +battery, aux, and ground, the rest of the wires should be speaker pairs. You can test with a 9V battery on the wires in the dash and the speaker attached to the wires should 'pop' allowing you to label / wire them up to the new unit.

If you cannot identify the +battery, aux, and ground, you may need a volt meter. Usually the +battery is red, the aux is yellow, and the ground is mostly, if not all, black.

Old 01-04-2017, 06:03 PM
BF Veteran

Originally Posted by french69ssrs
Hi All
I just Finished Relocating my Son's 2002 ZR-2 Blazer Rear Spare Tire.

He told me the Tire was in the way when looking out the Back, then I drove it - Wow, I can fix that !
I looked here on the Blazer Forum and the Net, did not see anything other than a Plate that lowered it a few Inches.

I lowered it 7 1/2", the Tire now rests on the Flat part of the Step Bumper and we can Open the Rear Window without having to release the Spare Tire Carrier.

The Bracket is Offset 6" so I laid out my Cut Lines using the Profile of the Carrier Bracket Tubing, Flipped it upside down and Welded everything up.

I bought a Nice Marker Plate Bracket and Light, I will mount that to the Side.
And I will be looking to add a 5 Gal Jerry Can and HiLift Jack too.

I took plenty of Pictures and will make a Separate Post for anyone who would like to see how I did it.

Timmy
Nice , but what happens when you get pulled over for not being able to see the lic. plate

Old 01-04-2017, 06:04 PM
BF Veteran

retightened header bolts

Old 01-04-2017, 07:14 PM
Beginning Member

Originally Posted by newguy
Nice , but what happens when you get pulled over for not being able to see the lic. plate

"I bought a Nice Marker Plate Bracket and Light, I will mount that to the Side."

I Will get that Tomorrow,
for Now, I took the Spare Tire off.

No Worries about the Police !
Timmy

Old 01-04-2017, 07:58 PM
Beginning Member
Ridge is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by Brian K. Balzer
I just touched base with my son and he Thinks his wires are labeled. His stereo is out so he'll try to get out there at some point and get a picture of it for you if he can.
Originally Posted by Thogert
If you can identify which wires are the +battery, aux, and ground, the rest of the wires should be speaker pairs. You can test with a 9V battery on the wires in the dash and the speaker attached to the wires should 'pop' allowing you to label / wire them up to the new unit.

If you cannot identify the +battery, aux, and ground, you may need a volt meter. Usually the +battery is red, the aux is yellow, and the ground is mostly, if not all, black.
Thanks for the advice, gentlemen! I think I'll give battery idea a try to ID the circuits.

Old 01-05-2017, 05:31 AM
Beginning Member

Hi Ridge
I did a little "Net" Surfing and found this,
It's for a 1985 S10

I see all the Colors shown, have not found a Pic of the Wiring Diagram for Free yet.

1985 Chevrolet S10 Pickup Stereo Wiring Information
Radio Battery Constant 12v+ Wire: Orange
Radio Accessory Switched 12v+ Wire: Yellow
Radio Ground Wire: Black
Radio Illumination Wire: Gray
Stereo Dimmer Wire: Brown
Left Front Speaker Positive Wire (+): Tan
Left Front Speaker Negative Wire (-): Gray
Right Front Speaker Positive Wire (+): Light Green
Right Front Speaker Negative Wire (-): Dark Green
Left Rear Speaker Positive Wire (+): Brown
Left Rear Speaker Negative Wire (-): Yellow
Right Rear Speaker Positive Wire (+): Dark Blue
Right Rear Speaker Negative Wire (-): Light Blue

Timmy

Old 01-05-2017, 09:34 AM
Beginning Member
Ridge is on a distinguished road

I was able to locate that guide as well. My problem is that the rear speaker wires have been re-run with just black wires. I'll just test them when installing to determine the proper wires to splice.

Old 01-05-2017, 01:19 PM
Starting Member
Brian K. Balzer is on a distinguished road
Default That's Helpful

I saved a copy of that just in case my son is mistaken and his aren't labeled.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: what have you gotten done on your blazer today?