General Chat Chat about all things Blazer (and related vehicles). Off-topic stuff should be in the lounge, and all mechanical problems should be posted in the proper forum.

What should be looked at for a tune up

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2009, 12:12 PM
Starting Member
carterx is on a distinguished road
Default What should be looked at for a tune up

In a couple weeks I'm making a 6100/km trip with a trailer across Canada and wondering what I should have tuned up.

So far I'm going to have the oil/filter changed right before I leave, have an alignment done, and since I have a free transmission scan slip for a shop in town figured I would use it before it expires here at the end of the month just for the hell of it.

Was also thinking of the air filter and maybe plugs. How can I tell if these two need to be replaced?

What else should I have look at for tuning up.

Old 05-17-2009, 02:16 PM
Starting Member
Swain is an unknown quantity at this point

Take out your air filter and hold it up looking at a light source and you should see the light coming through. Generally if it looks dirty replace it! AC Delco plugs gapped to stock spec, new fuel filter, check/replace your wires, cap & rotor. If there is any corrosion on your cap & rotor replace with GM parts, you won't be happy if you use cheap parts on your ignition. Before you change your oil/plugs run some seafoam(get it from napa) through your brake booster and some in with your oil you have in it now. This will clean up your engine really good. Cleaning your EGR and MAF sensor could also be done just be careful with the MAF. Then check all remaining fluids, fuel & brake lines and grease up your front suspension parts/Ujoints if they have zerk fittings and you should smile when you drive your truck for awhile.

Old 05-18-2009, 05:36 AM
Starting Member
blazen99 is on a distinguished road

success.

Old 05-18-2009, 09:40 AM
BF Veteran
Sisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant future

I'll point out the obvious and say tire pressure. You didn't mention it, and sometimes the simplest things are forgotten lol. Make sure all your fluids are topped up too.

Old 05-22-2009, 07:16 PM
Starting Member
carterx is on a distinguished road

I was picking up a few things today at Canadian Tire and was looking at the spark plugs and they had a lot of AC Delco but when I looked at the book they have, out of about 5 different plug manufactures, three listed a plug for a 95 Chevy Blazer ..... and AC Delco was not one of them. Had one listed for some other models, but not the 95 Blazer.

Can't find the post, but what model plug is for the 1995 Blazer.