General Chat Chat about all things Blazer (and related vehicles). Off-topic stuff should be in the lounge, and all mechanical problems should be posted in the proper forum.

Who has taken off their roof rack?

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2009, 07:17 PM
Brian_D will become famous soon enoughBrian_D will become famous soon enough

ill prob remove mine when i get the whole truck painted.. get it all done proper..

Old 11-10-2009, 09:12 PM
Starting Member
Zeeke98 is on a distinguished road

I can't believe how many of you are bashing on unbolting the rack and putting the bolts back in. It really cleans it up and is a free mod. Sure if you want to do it right, you'd pull the inserts out of the roof from the inside and weld the holes up. I pulled it off my Jimmy when I sold it to my dad and I yanked the rack off 03 Blazer 2 door as soon as I got it home. I put some gasket sealer on the hole and put the bolts back in on mine and no issues. I didn't put anything on dad's, just put the bolts back in and no issues. The holes aren't water proof even with the rack on there. Water gets under the gaskets and the bolt holes are open on top for water to just sit and collect there.

Old 11-27-2009, 08:43 AM
Starting Member
blazerJim1701 is an unknown quantity at this point

Still not liking my roof rack, gonna take it off proper this time.

My question is, if I forgo putting the screws back in but filling up the holes with JB weld OR silicone sealer...

OR

http://www.jbweld.net/products/water.php

Then getting the same exact color touch up paint....

which is better option?

Last edited by blazerJim1701; 11-27-2009 at 08:55 AM.
Old 11-27-2009, 09:50 AM
BF Veteran
Sisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Zeeke98
I can't believe how many of you are bashing on unbolting the rack and putting the bolts back in. It really cleans it up and is a free mod. Sure if you want to do it right, you'd pull the inserts out of the roof from the inside and weld the holes up. I pulled it off my Jimmy when I sold it to my dad and I yanked the rack off 03 Blazer 2 door as soon as I got it home. I put some gasket sealer on the hole and put the bolts back in on mine and no issues. I didn't put anything on dad's, just put the bolts back in and no issues. The holes aren't water proof even with the rack on there. Water gets under the gaskets and the bolt holes are open on top for water to just sit and collect there.
I wasn't bashing leaving the bolts in. I understand not everyone can or will be able to weld over the holes and paint their entire truck again. I was simply saying you should seal it IMO to prevent any possible leaking.

Old 11-27-2009, 10:00 AM
Starting Member
Zeeke98 is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by blazerJim1701
Still not liking my roof rack, gonna take it off proper this time.

My question is, if I forgo putting the screws back in but filling up the holes with JB weld OR silicone sealer...

OR

http://www.jbweld.net/products/water.php

Then getting the same exact color touch up paint....

which is better option?

Don't bastardize it like that with JB weld. Just silicone seal the bolts and put them back in unless you're going to pull out the inserts from inside the vehicle and weld the holes up. The inserts that the bolts thread into still stick up above the roof skin slightly so even if you do slather some JB weld on it, you'll still have raised bumps that will look lame.

Old 11-27-2009, 08:29 PM
Starting Member

I put the jb weld on and it looks better than the screws in the holes, albeit the jbweld is whiteish but that is ok until I paint them.

The important thing is that the screw holes and where the screw hold are in the metal are totally covered up so no water gets in.

Now they look like bumps but are smooth and sealed and lower profile than with the screws in...

Old 11-28-2009, 12:59 AM
Beginning Member
gmc004x4 is on a distinguished road

i took mine off and have never had a leak. i do not think the holes go all the way. they are just incerts. i painted mine black to blend in with my truck until can get them shaved and painted. i look so much better with out it. yeah how many people had to take them off to paint them anyways. leave them off. if you cant fit it inside do you really need it?

Old 11-28-2009, 02:15 AM
BF Veteran
ABN31B is on a distinguished road

I'm with lenny. pulled mine and slapped a third rail on to better support my rack

Old 11-28-2009, 06:13 AM
BF Veteran
Sisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant future

I like the look of the roof rack. That's why mine will be staying on. But that's just me. Can't say I've ever used it (and probably never will) but it looks good IMO.

Old 11-28-2009, 07:44 AM
Starting Member

I got used to my 1995 Blazer ( my uncles then he passed then it was mine) and it didn't have a RR on it.

I like the look of no RR, sleaker...

I won't be getting it shaved and painted, I'll be painting the area's that need painting.

As long as it looks good and no leaks...

Quick Reply: Who has taken off their roof rack?