General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

"change engine oil light"

Old 08-29-2006, 07:03 PM
triangleman is an unknown quantity at this point
Default "change engine oil light"

2004 Trailblazer 6 cyl
Anyone know how to reset this light? I helped a friend
with an oil and filter change. The manual states this must be reset
but no instructions as to how.
Thanks

Old 08-29-2006, 07:11 PM
Administrator
hillbillyinOhio has disabled reputation
Default RE: "change engine oil light"

I believe that you need to put the key in the ignition and turn it to accessory, then hold in the engligh/metric button on range I think. if that doesn't work, do a google for "Resetting service indicator light trailblazer" and you should be set. I cannot do the search at work, b/c of comapnys firewall

Old 08-29-2006, 07:45 PM
triangleman is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks Hillbilly,
-key on
-push gas pedal to the floor three times

This worked for me

Old 08-30-2006, 12:57 AM
LORCLAS is an unknown quantity at this point

Yep. Push pedal to the floor and release three times within five seconds.

Old 09-01-2006, 01:18 AM
20Blazer00 is an unknown quantity at this point

ORIGINAL: triangleman

2004 Trailblazer 6 cyl
Anyone know how to reset this light? I helped a friend
with an oil and filter change. The manual states this must be reset
but no instructions as to how.
Thanks
If you do not have the Driver Information Center then you use this method:

How to Reset the CHANGE ENGINE OIL Light

The GM Oil Life System calculates when to change your engine oil and filter based on vehicle use. Anytime your oil is changed, reset the system so it can calculate when the next oil change is required. If a situation occurs where you change your oil prior to a CHANGE ENGINE OIL light being turned on, reset the system.

To reset the CHANGE ENGINE OIL light, do the following:

Turn the ignition key to RUN with the engine off.
Fully press and release the accelerator pedal slowly three times within five seconds.
Turn the key to LOCK.
If the CHANGE ENGINE OIL light comes back on when you start your vehicle, the engine oil life system has not reset. Repeat the procedure.

For the Driver Information Center:
There is very little howto information when it comes to this in the Driver Information Center chapter on the DVD...
Find the button on the steering wheel that has an "icon" that looks like the arrow on the keyboard of your computer return key. Press this according to my service information DVD, it says that this button turns off or acknowledges messages from the Driver Informaiton Center..
If that don't work then try the fuel button

Old 09-01-2006, 02:02 AM
BF Veteran
Chevy Lover has a spectacular aura aboutChevy Lover has a spectacular aura aboutChevy Lover has a spectacular aura about

Here it is for the 2002 Trailblazer.
GM Oil Life System Resetting
When the system has calculated that oil life has been diminished, it will indicate that an oil change is necessary. A CHANGE ENGINE OIL message will come on. Change the engine oil as soon as possible within the next 600 miles (1000 km). It is possible that, if driving under the best conditions, the oil life may not indicate that an oil change is necessary for over a year. However, the engine oil and filter must be changed at least once a year and at this time the system must be reset.

If the system is ever reset accidentally, change the engine oil at 3000 miles (5000 km) since last oil change.

With the Driver Information Center (DIC)
Press the fuel information button until ENGINE OIL LIFE appears in the display.
To reset the monitor, press and hold the select button while ENGINE OIL LIFE is displayed.
Without the Driver Information Center (DIC)
To reset the CHANGE ENGINE OIL light, do the following:

Turn the ignition key to RUN, with the engine off.
Full press and release the accelerator pedal slowly 3 times within 5 seconds.
If the CHANGE ENGINE OIL light flashes for five seconds, the system is reset. If the light does not flash. repeat the procedure.
Turn the key to LOCK.
If the CHANGE ENGINE OIL light comes back on when you start the vehicle, the engine oil life system has not reset. Repeat the procedure.

Old 09-01-2006, 10:00 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Wow.. I've got like double or tripple vision here... How many times can we restate the same thing! LOL!!!

Glad we got it hashed out!

Search this Thread