General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Airbag light on

Old 10-29-2006, 12:24 PM
Beginning Member
hotrod28 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Airbag light on

Hello Members,Does anyone here have the discomfort of the Air Bag Light in the insturment panel is on and will not go out This is a' 99 Chev.Blazer LT.I reset it with a code reader and a day or so it comes back on. I have the factory manuals but was curious if anyone may have seen this and corrected it.Thanks so much in advance for any help on this.Also the CD player locked it self out,I believe this maybe just a bad CD player.Thanks Hotrod 28.

Old 10-29-2006, 02:34 PM
BF Veteran
Chevy Lover has a spectacular aura aboutChevy Lover has a spectacular aura aboutChevy Lover has a spectacular aura about
Default RE: Airbag light on

Did you check for codes before you reset the light. Have you had any work done recently on the steering column or under the dash?

When diagnosing a vehicle with an illuminated "AIR BAG" warning light, or an "AIR BAG" warning light that does not illuminate when the ignition key is first turned to the "ON" position, begin by checking for diagnostic codes using a scan tool. If no diagnostic codes are present, inspect the Sensing and Diagnostic Module (SDM) wiring harness electrical connector for the presence of a "shorting clip" (shorting bar). If the connector has a shorting clip, verify proper operation using the following information:

Important: Some vehicles control the illumination of the "AIR BAG" warning light via serial data communications from the SDM. On those vehicles, use a scan tool to determine if the SDM is controlling the warning light.

Shorting Clip Operation
When the SDM is DISCONNECTED from the wiring harness connector, the shorting clip inside the wiring harness connector closes which completes the circuit and turns the "AIR BAG" warning light "ON". When CONNECTED to the SDM and with the Connector Position Assurance (CPA) installed, the shorting clip inside the connector opens and the diagnostic circuitry inside the SDM controls the illumination of the light.

Old 10-29-2006, 10:45 PM
Beginning Member

Hello Chev.Lover,Thanks for your reply,I agree and have read the manual relating to the SDM it appears that is part or the problem keeping the air bag light on.If I work on this Blazer very much longer I may have to take your advise and drink beer on the side of a boat all day to calm my nerves down.Thanks really for your input I do appreciate your response.Hotrod 28.

Old 11-04-2006, 08:11 PM
Beginning Member

Hello Members,Just thought I would write an update on the airbag lite on.It appears to have corrected itself and went out.Hope it stays out.Glad to not have to spend more money on the Blazer.Hotrod 28.