General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Better gas mileage

Old 08-08-2006, 04:08 PM
flyshychick is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Better gas mileage

I'm sure this has been asked before. I was wondering if there is anyway to get better gas mileage with my 2001 zr2 blazer. Right now i am getting 16. Now i had a stick one previously and that was getting 18 - 20. But i had to get rid of that one, it gave me engine trouble. I have givin it a tune up and its that same. My brother recommended a chip. But i don't have much money right now. Any suggestions?

Old 08-08-2006, 04:19 PM
Administrator
m00nwater has a reputation beyond reputem00nwater has a reputation beyond reputem00nwater has a reputation beyond reputem00nwater has a reputation beyond reputem00nwater has a reputation beyond reputem00nwater has a reputation beyond reputem00nwater has a reputation beyond reputem00nwater has a reputation beyond reputem00nwater has a reputation beyond reputem00nwater has a reputation beyond reputem00nwater has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: Better gas mileage

Stop pulling ungarteful guys out of the ditch. HAHA

Well, I've improved MY mileage just by putting better plugs & wires in. I usually change my oil sooner than is recommended and am very diligent in changing air filter, etc.

I'm using AC Delco plugs all the time and I use better quality wires from NAPA. By doing that alone, I think I've helped. That, and I've stopped driving more than 120 kph on the highway (what's that in mph? 75?)

Old 08-08-2006, 04:29 PM

Thanks! And next time i see someone stuck, i'm gonna honk and drive on by. Unless its a girl, then i'd feel bad.

But i have better quality plugs and wires. I change my oil every 3,000 miles. And i check my air filter regularly tooo.

I've been told i have a heavy foot. Maybe i just need to slow down......Nah!

Thats why i bought my car, i use that for work. My cavalier gets 33.

Who knows maybe i just need to get even better wires and plugs.

Old 08-08-2006, 04:30 PM
4lowlife is on a distinguished road

Sythetic oils, and keep an eye on tire pressure.

Old 08-08-2006, 04:32 PM

I already use synthetic oil.

Old 08-08-2006, 04:55 PM
Administrator
m00nwater has a reputation beyond reputem00nwater has a reputation beyond reputem00nwater has a reputation beyond reputem00nwater has a reputation beyond reputem00nwater has a reputation beyond reputem00nwater has a reputation beyond reputem00nwater has a reputation beyond reputem00nwater has a reputation beyond reputem00nwater has a reputation beyond reputem00nwater has a reputation beyond reputem00nwater has a reputation beyond repute

Maybe you just need to face facts that you own a truck and they don't get good mileage [sm=lol.gif]

Old 08-08-2006, 04:58 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

How has the outside temp been lately? I know I have been drivin' without my A/C on, enjoying the weather (even when hot), and in both of my vehicles, I have gotten close to 2mpg better without the A/C on and with the windows down. Now I do know that I am MUCH more laid back when drivin' with the windows down and sunroof open, so that probably has some to do with it.

I got 17.5mpg on my last tank in the Bravada.

And really, if you have 'good' plug wires, there is VERY little to be gained by putting other possibly higher quality wires on. Really, the only benefits would be longer life. Plugs and wires can only restore lost performance/efficiency. If you have new plugs gapped properly and new wires, it shouldn't have any initial difference when using type-x vs. type-y.

*EDIT* - I'd also like to add that with a vehicle that has everything but the transmission being equal - the manual trans will get better mileage than the auto. The manual does not have the pumping losses associated with an auto trannies operation.

Old 08-08-2006, 05:54 PM

Thanks, and yes i know that i will get better mileage with a manual trans. And i know that its 4 wheel drive so it won't be anything like a car. But i thought maybe there was something i could do. But i guess i am doin everything that i can. Its just gets me sometimes, that my exs truck (a full size chevy z71) got the same as me. Oh well. I'll just deal with it. 16 is better than 15, 14, 13, or even 12.

Old 08-08-2006, 07:14 PM
Starting Member
Aquahallic is an unknown quantity at this point

keep your foot outta its ***....:P
them lead feet will get ya EVERYTIME... ease up off that pedal and let it shift out a little earlier. There is one thing I was told but have never tried and it does make sense to me. I was told that with a tranny cooler you do get a little better gas mileage due to less fluid slippage cause the cooler the liquid the higher the viscosity.... I dunno by how MUCH but hell... can't really go wrong with it if it's something you can do yourself. If anything it's gonna prolong the life of the tranny. More fluid+more cooling area = more viscous, more cooling on the tranny itself too...

Oh.. take it outta 4wd on the interstate...hahahahahah
Just kiddin'.. I COULDN'T resist...

Old 08-08-2006, 07:24 PM
flowmasta is an unknown quantity at this point

ok guys heres my top five ways to improve gas mileage
5) buy a turbonator or tornado
4) install exhaust
3) install an air intake (CAI preferably)
2) lay off the lead foot

and ladies and gentlemen the number one way to improve gas mileage is to not drive a 4.3l blazer (civics are popular for a reason....f'n ricers)

lets face it guys were not blazer enthusiasts because blazers are great on gas and save us money at the pump......they are beasts on and off the road....reliable rocks that are more dependable than our best friends.....they seldom bitch or moan and i know for me.....no matter how much abuse the thing takes it keeps asking for more......i firmly believe that chevrolet based the motto "like a rock" on the blazer. Thank you and goodnight!

***EDIT Watch the language!!***

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Better gas mileage