General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

99 Blazer Ls Overhead Console in Car

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2006, 07:57 PM
nelson85 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default 99 Blazer Ls Overhead Console in Car

Hey guys, Just wondering how complicated the wiring for BASIC compass and thermometer are in the blazer Ls. I only ask this beacuse I am interested in installing into my car (full overhead console). Mounting and finishing aren't of any problem. I dont need nor want the other options just basic Compass and Temp. What would I need to pull from the truck to enable these two options to work ? . I have nothing but time and patients for these things, so any help is greatly appreciated. Thank you = ] ~ Nelson

Old 06-20-2006, 08:10 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: 99 Blazer Ls Overhead Console in Car

Let me see what is necessary for the installation. Off the top of my head, at the very least, you'll need the outside temp sensor and the compass module, the rest would be wiring it up. But I don't know if these things get tied into the BCM (body control module) or not.

Old 06-20-2006, 08:17 PM

I will wait it out for a while and see what else comes up. As said before, Im patient and have the time to invest in this small project, just need the right info = ] fast response appreciated, Thank you.

Old 06-20-2006, 09:01 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Well, after taking a look at the connector views for your year... There are models without the trip computer and ones with it. The overhead console without the trip computer still has the outside temp and compass and the console that you purchase should have the compass module in it. The wiring for the ambient air temp sensor will need to be added, but I do not know the voltage reference necessary for the temp sensor. The sensor itself mounts on to the hood latch support.

Without the trip computer you're looking at finding the source for the RAP (retained accessory power), engine control module ground (probably any ground), Vehicle speed signal - 4000 pulses per mile (for what I don't know), Outside Ambient temp sensor signal, Variable Voltage signal from IP dimmer (IP == Instrument Panel), LED Dimming signal from BCM.

Now, you may get lucky and have the connectors there already, but you won't know without dropping the overhead console that is there already.

Old 06-20-2006, 09:19 PM

We'll i've deffinately explained myself wrong [&:]. The console is going to be removed from a 99 blazer ls. and installed into my 2001 Sc2. Sorry to lead you in the wrong direction, but my details were cut short. So what I would now like to do Is install this overhead console into my sc2. My question pretty much was ' what is nessesary to remove from the blazer, to reinstall into my "car" 01 Sc2. Sorry for any confusion, just one of those days Its deffinately Not impossible to do, just hoping to get a lead. Thanks again ~ Nelson

Old 06-20-2006, 09:42 PM
Administrator

Well, not knowing what the speed reference is for, you would simply need the console and probably a few feet of wire into the harness that runs to the console. If the module is a full trip computer module, I don't know what the results of not hooking up the class 2 serial bus connection would be. And there are more wires as well that don't have anything to do with the compass or outside temp readouts.

So you will also need the sensor from just below the hood latch behind the grill and probably a few feet of wire to make your connections. I can probe the wires on my ambient air temp sensor to figure out what the reference voltage is for the sensor so that you know where it'll have to be hooked up. The only complication I can see is if the temp sensor itself needs a +5v reference... But I can't find anything about the sensor in my references...

Once you get the console or if you already have it, let me know how many pins are on the 2 connectors on the back of the display module. The compass module should be connected to one of the connectors and then the rest of the harness will be connected to the other.

Old 06-20-2006, 10:04 PM
Administrator

Ok, went out and checked the reference voltage for the outside temp sensor and sure enough... +5v. Well, unless you can find a regulated +5v signal for the sensor, your temp is probably going to be off. To be more exact, it measured in at a steady +5.12v with the key on, but engine off.

Your best bet would be to see if there are any other sensors that use a +5v reference and pull from their source. Actually, the gray wire on your SC2s TPS sensor is a +5v battery reference voltage, so you could pull from there. There are probably more areas that you can tap into to get +5v, but that is the first one that I came across.

Once you get the console, let me know and I'll get you what each wire is and I'll try to get you pointed in the right direction as to where they need to be run to.

Old 06-22-2006, 07:39 PM

Wow, what a great response ,exactly what I was looking for = ] Unfortunately I cant pick the console up until tomorrow nite (friday) So I cant check out the number of pins in the connector. I do know that it has all options, mpg, avg fuel consumption, litres used... etc. I will have all that info by saturday at the latest. As said before, thanks for the response swartlkk, great help. = ] ~ Nelson