General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Brakes binding?

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2006, 06:33 PM
TammyG is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Brakes binding?

I have a 95 Bblazer. For about a week it's been lacking power. It's not too bad on level roads at a lower rate of speed, but going uphill or on the highway it just doesn't have what it takes. It's riding smooth, no rough idle...it seems as if something is holding it back. My husband says he smells brakes burning and thinks the brakes may be binding. The smell isn't overpowering. I really don't know, anyone had this problem, any thoughts or suggestions?

Thanks

Old 11-24-2006, 07:02 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: Brakes binding?

You'll really need to get it up in the air and spin the wheels to see if things are binding up. Could be a failing brake line, a seized caliper, or a seized slider pin on the front disk brakes... I believe '95s have rear drums which have less things to go wrong, but if a spring were to break or... Yeah...

If you aren't comfortable with inspecting the brakes yourself, you could always take it to a Midas or equivalent and have them do a free, no-obligation estimate. I would recommend that if you go this route, take it to at least 2 different shops for estimates and compare the repairs listed.

Old 11-24-2006, 09:29 PM
nofear17bmx is an unknown quantity at this point

Also go to each tire and take a snif of course. Also if they are siezed they are probably getting very hot, so feel the rim to see if its hot.

Old 11-24-2006, 10:04 PM
BF Veteran
Chevy Lover has a spectacular aura aboutChevy Lover has a spectacular aura aboutChevy Lover has a spectacular aura about

I would check for sticking park brake cables. If they don't release all the way the rear brakes will be dragging.

Old 11-27-2006, 11:00 PM
dcup734 is an unknown quantity at this point

My 98' S10 Blazer has aluminum disk brake calipers which got pitted and locked the pads and had to be replaced. Unfortunately, I couldn't find aftermarket replacements and had to buy OEMs from Chevy.