General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Cleaning/Replacing EGR valve

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2006, 04:01 PM
Urenemy is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Cleaning/Replacing EGR valve

'93 s10 Blazer 4.3 vortec
4x4 4door

I was wondering if anyone could help me with maybe some help/instructions on cleaning and maybe replacing the egr valve. I don't really want to replace the whole thing if cleaning it will just do the job. I could use some help locating it, etc.

Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

Old 11-05-2006, 04:24 PM
rooster is an unknown quantity at this point
Default RE: Cleaning/Replacing EGR valve

the egr is behind your distributer near the back , looks kinda like a flying saucer. as far as cleaning it, i dont know if u can but replacing it is fairly cheap and removal is simple. problem is two types were made so you have to remove it first to see part number.

Old 11-06-2006, 11:03 AM
irocknrol2 is an unknown quantity at this point

I dont know about the '93 model year 4.3, but on mine a '94 the egr valve is located in front of the distributor and it is electronicly controlled one which lists for about $200.00.

Old 11-06-2006, 05:56 PM

Post #1
i have a 92 4.3 262 tbi which is the same engine as the cpi(vortec) minus its intake. we have the same engine. so it should be in the back, u probably can get a better view of it from the drivers side of the engine compartment, u may have to remove the air claener housing to get a good look.

Post #2
i also just checked out the price on rock auto .com and an ac delco egr valve (best u can get for a 93) is only 63 dollars and the gasket is 50 cents to 1.50. plus their shipping is usaully pretty quick. it'll only cost 200 at your local schiester mechanic shop.

Post #3
one more thought before u get need deep in worms, with the engine hot but off find ur egr and stick ur finger in it, try pressing the plunger, if it slides freely with a little drag the ur egr is most likely fine(now if the engine is cold the egr slider will not move at all if it does then it is faulty), u sholud attack ur fuel filter or o2 sensor and then you might have better mileage
( i tired to upload a few pics of the egr but im new at this so bare with me if not)

[IMG]local://upfiles/4216/E7C1AC3ADD1E4534992C390A080320F2.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/4216/B267C29A26F44628AB189655BF6C0038.jpg[/IMG]

*EDIT by swartlkk* - cleaning up consecutive posts...

Old 11-07-2006, 12:43 AM
RedBlaze is an unknown quantity at this point

I would recommend cleaning before replacing. If it is in fact getting gummed up because of excessive carbon build up putting on a new one will do nothing for you. You will mess the new one up in no time. Just pull it off and soak it in some seafoam or carb cleaner or something of that nature. just take a small wire brush and work the inside of it over. you also need to clean the egr passage.

Old 11-07-2006, 05:49 PM
Urenemy is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for all the help guys, I'll be looking into doing this within the next week.

Old 11-12-2006, 02:29 AM
mars004 is an unknown quantity at this point

If you can take your EGR valve off you should be able to block it off and you will never have a problem with it again. Find a thin piece of metal which is small enough to only will cover only the two holes on the valve then take some silicone and stick it to the EGR valve so it completely covers the two holes and when its tacky enough so it wont slide off bolt it back on making sure the piece of metal does not move
but remember to put the gasket back on too. With it blocked off the truck will work the exact same and you wont have to replace it either.

Old 11-12-2006, 02:37 AM
USMaverick101 is an unknown quantity at this point

why would you block it off though? It dont sound like that would be good for the truck. Dont we need an egr?

Old 11-12-2006, 08:41 AM

i've never heard of blocking it off, yea that might stop any leaks but has to be **** for your gas mileage

Old 11-12-2006, 08:09 PM
RedBlaze is an unknown quantity at this point

yeah blocking off you egr valve is really a last resort. it can be done but i would not do it until every other option has been explored. it sounds like a simple cleaning and possibly a seafoam treatment would cure your problems. it will run with a blocked egr valve but it is not good for the motor and will shorten its life span.

Quick Reply: Cleaning/Replacing EGR valve