General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

engine turned off

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2006, 02:26 PM
quontush is an unknown quantity at this point
Default engine turned off

late last night i was coming home and i had to slam on my brakes. After i released off my brakes the abs like was on and there was no throttle response, no powersteering, no power brakes, and the engine was off. I pulled to the side of the road, turn the key off, and then started it right up, no problem at all. What caused this? is anything broken? i figure it must have somthign to do with the ABS thanks for all of your help.

Old 05-07-2006, 04:03 PM
20Blazer00 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default RE: engine turned off

I would check your brake pads to see if they need replacing. It might be that the caliper pistons traveled farther than normal and may have gotten stuck. When you turned of the engine it relieved some of the pressure from the power brake system and they were allowed to return to normal....

Old 05-07-2006, 05:19 PM

just put new pads on about a month ago

Old 05-07-2006, 06:38 PM
MCas86 is an unknown quantity at this point

not to sound like an *** but, do u have a 5 speed and just ended up stalling it and not known it?

Old 05-07-2006, 07:48 PM
4lowlife is on a distinguished road

[sm=funnypostabove.gif]

Old 05-07-2006, 08:42 PM

nope i have an auto, it was almost exactly like i stalled it out though. Is it possible for an auto to stall out? perhaps all of the gas shifted away from the pickup line?

Old 05-07-2006, 09:04 PM
Ernie1019 is an unknown quantity at this point

I have a 2004 4.3L (X) auto that has on occasion stalled when there is a sudden stop,especially on rough
pavement.It has done it maybe three or four times in two + years, once just recently. I just shrug it off as
"one of those things" since it happens so seldom.The engine otherwise runs quite well. If it starts to do it
more often I'll have to look in to it,for now I'll just keep it in the back of my mind.

Old 05-07-2006, 10:19 PM
blazingsadle is an unknown quantity at this point

Yeah, older models used to do this due to vacuum loss. I cant think of a better way to say it( hey I know vacuum is less already but..), but the sudden use/loss of a large amount of vacuum would cause an engine to stumble and sometimes die long before fuel injection and computers. Of course the carbs didnt help, but often as not it was a simple vacuum problem. The carbs would have funny float actions at times.

The new cars have extra vacuum canisters built into them and so should yours. On the older models thats what we often did when the powerbrakes would cause a stumble on braking. In a modern computer run car a simple stuble of the motor can cause a stall due to the loss of oil pressure. If it happens to drop real low, it just shuts off.

Dont know how the oil pans funtion in these cars during a panic stop, but I can guess that there is not that much baffle built in either. So slamming the brake sends it all forward, away from the pickup and has exactly the same result. Sudden drop of pressure and automatic shut off. Was your oil all the way full? A rough road would make this worse or easier to understand.

Just a couple of ideas. Not saying any of this is so, but these are some things that used to happen to me. We used auto shutoff on low oil pressure (often on ignition) even on carbed cars when racing the 1/4 mile and sometimes the combination of the short slowdown lane and the early turn would do the same thing. Better oil pans were the answer, but costs were prohibitive for the low budget racers.

Had to add this. Are your back brakes also disc or are they drum? If you have drum brakes and they are even halfway worn and a little out of adjustment; this may cause an abs indication. Adjust them better and the problem goes away for a time. Best to replace rear shoes if thats what you have. They HAVE to be adjusted correctly during install.

Old 05-07-2006, 10:30 PM

I do have full oil level, as well as rear drum, i will cheak and see how the pads are, thanks for all of your help

Old 05-07-2006, 11:16 PM
blazingsadle is an unknown quantity at this point

This is the other half of that post. I was going to check the book, but busy with other problems, I read at nite.

I do own a book with yours in it, but havent checked it yet. If I remember my own 95 right, I have ONE abs sensor for the rear. Mine is located to read (again, I think) driveshaft speed or something. At any rate, it reads something other than the rear drums themselves.

So what goes on is that the front abs sensors may get a little dirty and perhaps the shop that did the brakes never cleaned them, or your rear one/s may be dirty. Again, you may even have one for each wheel, it would be better, but they have to CLEAN to function as bests as possible.

I'm not talking about dirt that washes off with a hose. I am talking that real dirty greasy full of metal particles that a disc or drum can give you. Owning metallic brake pads/shoes and all that metal, grease and general brake dust full of trash may make the sensors do funny things.

A can or two of brake cleaner is a cheap price for less red lites? Of course check with others around here as to what may be best to clean those things. Some things I do are just out of what is at hand and SEEMS to make sense. Sometimes I learn the hard way. Brake cleaner didnt bother mine. But I cant even remember what brand it was.

A set of new tires of the wrong size may cause problems, the abs system depends on knowing fairly well how fast you are going. Different diameter tires may throw its calculations off if the difference is great enough. Stock or close to stock is fine.