General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

A few problems! 4x4,vibration and steering

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2006, 04:27 PM
chevblazer02 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default A few problems! 4x4,vibration and steering

I've done some searching on here for an answer, I found a few options but wonder if anyone has specifics.....
I just bought a 20002 Blazer LS with about 62k miles on it and I have about 2 weeks left on the warranty. From the day I picked it up at the dealership till now it has had a shake/vibration around 60 mph, I can feel it in the wheel and on the floor by my feet. Its fine over 65 and fine below 60. What should I ask the dealership to check, or should I just go in and be like its vibrateing when i do this, and just let them find the problem.

2nd the steering wheel seems loose. At all times I can turn it to the right and it turns probably half and inch before u feel resistance( i think thats the word I'm looking for) but when i turn the wheel left you feel resistance right away....what might this be?

and 3rd this is with my 4 wheel drive. Whats the best way to engage 4hi? I tried it stopped and the light just flashed till i moved is something wrong, I also did it while moveing around 2-3mph and it engaged right away. I tried my 4lo out the other day and it took for ever to go back to 2 wheel drive. Is there a special way to get it back in 2 wheel drive or and I doing something wrong, or is this something i should have the dealer look at ? ...

I greatly appreciate your help ahead of time...Jon

Old 09-18-2006, 04:40 PM
Beginning Member
JBacker is an unknown quantity at this point
Default RE: A few problems! 4x4,vibration and steering

Can't help ya on the first two issues, but the third I can offer some things . . .

I remember reading that 2-3 mph is required to complete the change from 2HI to 4HI. If one thinks about it, all those gears aren't able to engage/disengage unless there is a little movement to help it.

To go into and out of 4LO, it is best to put the transmission in Neutral first, with foot on the brake. It shouldn't take too long, maybe ten seconds at the most.

If you have the owner's manual, it will tell you exactly how to best complete the shift changes. If you don't have one, I would look on Ebay or somewhere and get one - it'll help with questions like those.

Old 09-18-2006, 04:59 PM

Thanks yeah I have a manual I read it, but still was haveing problems with it....I've had 2 1991 blazer with the 4x4 on the floor and my father has a 97 but its had a blown transmission for the last 8 months so no one remembers how that handled the 4lo- 2 wheel drive.....I'm gonna go grab the manual and test it all again...

Old 09-18-2006, 09:30 PM
EkStreem G is an unknown quantity at this point

Well I have to say is "been there",lol. I bought my blazer like 2 months ago and it had the same exact problem, it shook it's tail off from 60mph to about 67 mph, then it would ride like a champ. Luckily it's a "certified" used car, so I didn't have to pay a dime. Alright, all they did was balance the tires and that took care of the problem, "I'm Dead Serious". Well they actually balanced them twice because I still kinda felt it the first time. Now, just to warn you, the trucks don't really ride all to great to begin with, my mother in law's got a 2000 4 dr. with 40 something thousand miles on it and it's got a slight shimmy on it also (but the vibration on my truck was just a little more, aggressive). I also got my tires filled with nitrous (Nitrofill) and that helped out a little also. Basically just make sure all four tires are in good condition and get them balanced or even better road-force balanced.

Also, I don't have that play in the steering, so maybe that could have more to do with the vibration? You could also check and\or grease the idler arm because if bad it can also cause shaking.

Are the tires worn out more on the inside or outside, or are they evenly wearing?

Old 09-19-2006, 12:28 AM
mandi is an unknown quantity at this point

I would have someone check on the ball joints. They do effect the steering and handling on the truck. And from the way everyone is talking the first set to change out is hell.
Good luck.

Old 09-19-2006, 02:41 AM
20Blazer00 is an unknown quantity at this point

When i bought my 2000 Blazer it had the same vibration, I had the dealer rotate the tires and the vibration got less in the steering and the tires were nearly worn out. So I replaced them and have not had any vibration. In your case depending on how much tread is left on the tires you should have the tires rotated to see if the condition changes if it does then have the tires rebalanced. Also have the shocks checked for wear they don't make them to last forever, if they wear out you should be able feel like a soft boat ride on the water. The shocks should then be replaced. It has been my experience that shocks are pretty much worn out by at least 40K (factory).

As far as the steering that could come from a couple of issues and if they are all a little bad they would all need to be fixed. Look under the truck when someone else rotates the steering wheel to check the idler arm for movement that would not be normal (up/down). If it is loose then replace it. Also you can raise the truck under the front control arms and check the ball joints for wear, if the lowers move more than .080 then they need replaced. Also use a 2x4 as a lever and check the uppers for excessive wear they get a little more movement but not much. Also at the same time check the wheel bearings, grab the wheel/tire assembly top and bottom, try to move top in opposite direction from bottom if there is excessive wear they need to be replaced. These are a one piece item and have no method to grease.

As far as the 4x4 engagement process try it with the trans in neutral and rolling at 2-3mph that should work it does with mine...

Old 09-19-2006, 03:25 AM
BF Veteran
Chevy Lover has a spectacular aura aboutChevy Lover has a spectacular aura aboutChevy Lover has a spectacular aura about

I don't know about the '02, but I bought an '05 Blazer and battled with the dealer for 8 months.
First they replaced 3 tires, then they re-balanced them, then they did several alignments.
2 weeks before I traded it in they fixed it. They changed all 4 Goodyear tires to Michelins.
The Michelins did the trick, no more vibration, better steering.

Too little, too late. Now I have an '06 GMC Sierra to go with my old Blazers.

Old 09-19-2006, 10:57 AM
Retired Super Moderator
Dory is a jewel in the roughDory is a jewel in the roughDory is a jewel in the rough

Ok problem one, have them just check that the tires are balanced properly. sometimes its literally as simple as that. if you are not really hearing any noise and the vibration is at highway speeds it could be as simple as that. I would have them check out the front end anyway but I just got a gut feeling thats all that you really need.

problem two, not really sure on that. I would "think" to check the power steering pump... but im not sure.

problem three, there is an encoder motor that engages when you hit 4hi, or whenever you change to anything on the 4wd system. if you hit it and the light just blinks but doesnt engage, it might be a problem with that. but it could just be that you gotta be rolling a little too... not sure.

Old 09-20-2006, 03:29 PM

Well I got a call from the dealership saying my parts were in, it seems they knew about the steering issue and just couldnt get it fixed before i picked it up.....they said something about the a steering gear box, 2nd a few people mentioned tire tread....the tires are brand new goodyears.

So its going into the dealer for balancing, the steering issue and they have to replace a visor. So I'm gonna have them just check the 4wd. And I have this annoying problem where it seems my fuel gauge heads to empty way to fast.......30 miles and I'm at half a tank......any info on that?

Old 09-20-2006, 11:51 PM
EkStreem G is an unknown quantity at this point

After driving my Blazer today I realized that my truck has a small play in the steering when I turn right, but the left is fine.[sm=imsmilin.gif] Could you find out exactly what they are gonna do to your truck?

Quick Reply: A few problems! 4x4,vibration and steering