General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

fluctuating idle.

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2006, 01:33 AM
ssilk12001 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default fluctuating idle.

I jusat got a 95 with 224000miles on it. The idle is loud like the converter is hollow and the idle fluctuates sometimes. She idles pretty rough. Any advise for a newb?

Old 09-01-2006, 02:58 AM
BF Veteran
Chevy Lover has a spectacular aura aboutChevy Lover has a spectacular aura aboutChevy Lover has a spectacular aura about
Default RE: fluctuating idle.

Welcome to the forum.
You'll get more sugestions if you can give us more information, like make, model, engine, fuel system etc...
Was the problem there when you bought it or did it just start (all of a sudden or over time)

You say it's loud at at idle...how about at cruising speed...still loud?

Old 09-01-2006, 03:14 AM

I know its a 95 Vortec. Not sure about trim level yet.....cant find the FAQ. I noticed at the lot that it was a little loud. I figured it was just a leak but the sound is coming mostly from the tailpipe. Not sure about cruising speed, I'll check tomorrow. I plan to do the plugs and wires and the rotor and cap as soon as i can. Is there any problems I should keep my eye out for?

Old 09-01-2006, 04:19 AM
ivannj is an unknown quantity at this point

Don't forget the air filter, oil, tranny oil, diffs, radiator flush (a few times), PCV valve. Put a 3/4 can of Sea foam in the oil and run it a couple of days before you change the oil. Also run it through your TB and then change the plugs. Get A?C delco products not Bosh for you CHEVY! ANything else I am missing? If your going to change the CAt becuase it broke then change your muffler too. Most likely the junk from the Cat got stuck in the muffler too. I am going through this now. A busted Cat does lots of trouble to cars! Good Luck!
Get a bottle of electrical componet cleaner and Blast your MASS AIR FLOW SENSOR! Buy a new coil too. I think this may clear your problems right up!

Old 09-01-2006, 03:54 PM

Thanks man. I was a member of Acura-Legend.com fourum and have a lot of freinds who use sea-foam. I sucked half a bottle into the PCV valve and let it sit, then ran the smoke out and it was an amazing improvmenty....love the stuff. I'm going out right now to tear in to the chevy. Pull the plugs, wires, and cap to try and clean them up a little. I hope that helps. Then i'll run it to the local muffler shop and see what they say. Thanks for the responses. Any common problems with these rigs???

Old 09-02-2006, 03:56 AM

OK...the news is....there is no catyllitic converter on the rig, which is illegal to sell at a car lot. He has now agreed to replace it and the o2 sensor if needed and I have to drive a crappy old minivan until it's fixed......lovley huh.
My question now is...would the converter being gone make the Vortec idle like complete crap and make the idle fluctuate?

Old 09-02-2006, 04:06 AM
ivannj is an unknown quantity at this point

i WOULD NOT KEEP A CAR THAT OLD AND THAT MANY MILES NEVER MIND BUY ONE. SO IF I WERE IN YOUR SHOES I TAKE MY MONEY BACK AND BUY A BETTER CHEVY WITH LESS MILES!!!!!!!!!!!! YOU LUCKED OUT IF YOU ASK ME SINCE IT WAS ILLEGAL FOR HIM YOU HAVE THE CHOICE TO GET MONEY BACK.

Old 09-02-2006, 03:32 PM

I think your right..but now he has agreed to repair all that is needed to get it running good..I plan on doing a swap in the future so the motor isn't a big deal. I just need it to run till then! Anythins else I may need to adress on this gen Blazer?

Old 09-02-2006, 10:53 PM
lochenjons is an unknown quantity at this point

I love how people think 90's cars are old. But anyways, if this guy lied to you before and it's running bad I wouldnt bother with him more unless youre getting it for cheap. You can always use the excuse that he sold it illegaly to get your money back. And that is a lot of miles for something that new, mine only has 89000, prob went over but still, it only has like 30,000 on the new engine.

Old 09-03-2006, 02:13 AM
IdidNOTdoIT is an unknown quantity at this point

I think I'll chip in here a bit.....

You Blazer is new compared to mine. But 224,000 is a lot of mileage. They probably took off the cat due to blockage, and Lord only knows what hasn't been done to that truck to keep it running. I agree with lochenjons, I would get your money back from that dealer somehow and look for a little better deal. Motor is one thing. Trans is another big one, who knows how well that has been maintained? I'm not telling you what to do, just some things to consider.

My guess on the idle fluctuation issue is all emissions/electricals/sensor stuff mentioned before by ivannj. I couldn't see how a missing cat would cause that. A plugged, falling apart cat? Yes. But not missing. O2 sensor wouldn't neccessarily do it either. Hope that answers your question.

I wish you the best of luck on whatever you decide to do.

Quick Reply: fluctuating idle.