General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Full transmission fluid change?

Old 11-21-2006, 02:13 AM
Starting Member
KA3AX is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Full transmission fluid change?

Anyone heard of some "full" transmission fluid change? From my offroading experiance the other week, turns out I have water in my tranny![:@] So, a my dad told my that I have to take my Blazer to a shop and let them change the oil with some kind of pump to pump the tranny oil out from the converter as well as the whole tranny, because just pulling the pan and draining will not get all the oil out of the transmission. Is this true?

Thanks!

Old 11-21-2006, 03:31 AM
BF Veteran
Chevy Lover has a spectacular aura aboutChevy Lover has a spectacular aura aboutChevy Lover has a spectacular aura about
Default RE: Full transmission fluid change?

Yup, they run about 14 litres of fluid thru thr tranny and it flushes out the converter, the lines, the cooler and the tranny. If you do a tranny fluid change at home by dropping the pan, you only get about 4 or 5 litres out.

Old 11-21-2006, 04:23 AM
20Blazer00 is an unknown quantity at this point

Yeah it is true most oil change shops Oil Can Henrys, Jiffy Lube etc have machines to do this but find some body you trust. When you flush your tranny the filter should be changed/checked for particles in the filter, if you had water in the tranny then there might have been a break down of friction protection. If that happened then the particles might get caught in the filter and if they did it would indicate that more work will be needed later on down the road.

Maybe you should go to reputable transmission shop to have this done, I would trust a shop dedicated to transmission work more, than an oil change shop that hires/trains people to sell product/services...at least if they find things wrong you can decide to have it fixed there and not have to drive around town with a weak tranny...

Old 11-21-2006, 02:32 PM
Starting Member
KA3AX is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks a lot! So if I drove for about 20-30 miles with the water in it, did it kill my tranny or not? The tranny seemed to work fine, except when it shifts from first to second it shifts kind of rouf but other than that it worked perfectly.

Old 11-21-2006, 02:38 PM
TheDesertFox is an unknown quantity at this point

Yea my tranny shifts hard from 1st to 2nd also, but its been like that since i got it almost a year ago. Is this normal? Plus how much can one expect to pay for a full transmission fluid change? Thanks

Old 11-21-2006, 04:33 PM
20Blazer00 is an unknown quantity at this point

That would depend on how hard you drive it. If you take it easy and don't do drag race starts then you could maybe buy a small amount of time. But if the water you got into the tranny/transfer case has any dirt/silt in it then it will eventually wear out the parts most vulnerable to friction. That is why I recomended you take it to a Tranny shop so that they could tell you if you really needed to have the tranny rebuilt or a flush would do.

The flush might remove the water but the filter will hold onto the dirt/silt particles clogging the filter and reducing the flow of fluid necessary for the tranny to work as built by the OEM and you expect it to.

Old 11-21-2006, 04:59 PM
MNHawk is an unknown quantity at this point

If a person has the right setup:

Gravity feed bucket holds 2 gal plus fluid (or a 2 gal pitcher with an on-off valve, or even a 2 1/2 to 5 gal plastic gas can) for those that want can use those inline adapters (like the make for oil qts) to use direct from multi gal container to line setup.

drain pan that holds 4 gal plus

adapter to trany line (2 needed) this can be trany metal line also like below but will have to add a coupler so that you can attach it to the trany lines

adapter for radiator trany cooler (2 needed) This can just be trany metal line cut in 1/2 and bent for direction (will also have to flair the end you cut)

5 gal trany fluid

1) Remove the lines at the radiator
2) connect lines to (feed and drain)
3) start tuck let system start to bleed out and fill up with fresh fluid (you will go threw about all 5 gals doing this
4) shut off truck let it finish draining, remove pan, replace filter, reinstall pan w/ new gasket
5) connect bucket setup to radiator, flush with about 2 gts of trany fluid
6) remove all connections and reinstall lines from trany back to radiator
7) refill trany

The adaptors are easy to make, just use some good hose to go from the adaptor to bucket funnel or how ever you want setup for fluid filling to line. I would use the clear line. Cost about $20 if you don't have items around the garage and cost of fluid.

Or just goto the local trany shop and pay $80-$120 plus to have them flush your system, and then afterwards replace filter $60 plus. And some trany shops use used trany fluid to flush your system, so lord knows whats in the fluid they use to flush it with.