General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Green or orange?

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2006, 11:29 PM
Nations81 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Green or orange?

Does anyone know if I could change from Prestone antifreeze(green) to prestone dex cool(orange) and if this would even be beneficial. I know that the green stuff will lower the integrity of the orange but would a coolant flush remove all of the old?Oh and what is the difference?

Old 08-08-2006, 11:41 PM
flowmasta is an unknown quantity at this point
Default RE: Green or orange?

um actually i found out that my blazer was supposed to have dex cool....if u look on the radiator it should say use dex cool antifreeze only.....i found out a lil late to save my first engine...i think 96 and up is supposed to be the orange dex cool....but dont quote me on that

Old 08-09-2006, 12:14 AM
1996BZR is an unknown quantity at this point

Ever since I had my Blazer, it had the green kind in it. I heard there was a problem with dex cool on some people's vehicles. I don't know if it was the coolant or just poor maintenance, or maybe just no maintenance. I have heard of many people in my area change to the green coolant, so I don't think it will hurt anything as long as you do a thorough flush. Isn't hurting my blazer.

Old 08-09-2006, 09:16 AM
Administrator
m00nwater has a reputation beyond reputem00nwater has a reputation beyond reputem00nwater has a reputation beyond reputem00nwater has a reputation beyond reputem00nwater has a reputation beyond reputem00nwater has a reputation beyond reputem00nwater has a reputation beyond reputem00nwater has a reputation beyond reputem00nwater has a reputation beyond reputem00nwater has a reputation beyond reputem00nwater has a reputation beyond repute

Here's some info that might help:

https://blazerforum.com/m_21318/tm.htm
https://blazerforum.com/m_9593/tm.htm

Old 08-09-2006, 10:11 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

If you want to get the system cleaned up, replace the t-stat, and replace the rad cap, I would recommend that you flush it out very well with a garden hose, forward and reverse flushing the heater core by removing the heater core hoses off of the water pump and intake manifold. Then pour 2-3 gallons of distilled water through everything allowing it to drain as when flushing it.

The coolant that I would recommend is Prestone's new 'All Makes - All Models' Extended Life antifreeze. I have heard nothing but good things about this coolant. It is actually yellow in color. "Big Yellow is Takin' Over" - remember that commercial on TV. LOL

Anyway, once you get it flushed out quite well, pour in 6 quarts of coolant, and top off with distilled water.