General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Help with the belt squeal!

Old 11-03-2006, 11:03 AM
BrokenBlazr is an unknown quantity at this point
Default RE: Help with the belt squeal!

ORIGINAL: DetroitMuscle

ORIGINAL: Chevy Lover

I've found that putting anything on the belt (belt dressing, water, wd40 etc...) is just a temporary fix.
I've almost always used the belt from the dealer.
When I take off the belt, I rotate all the pulleys to see that they spin easily, check that the tensioner actually applys pressure and when I install the new belt, I try to see that all the pulleys are in alignment.

then there are other problems, a belt squuel is usually a dry belt, happens most in the beginning of winter when its REALLY cold out. use WD on the pulleys and not the belt and the noise shouldnt come back unless there are faulty parts.
Since I had changed the belt about 3 months ago is why I changed the idler and the complete tensioner assembly. So now that there are no more new pullies (except the parts on the alternator etc) I guess something has happened to the belt. I did have a problem (actually a lot since I picked it up from the dealer) and I had to replace the alternator (warranty they gave me a rebuilt). I guess if the belt does not work it could be the alternator...but I had them bench test it in front of me so I could see that it was alright. I was fine but I wonder if the belt that was on the bench test may not have put as much strain on the alternator???

Old 11-03-2006, 05:22 PM
MNHawk is an unknown quantity at this point

I had a simular issue with a 99 Astro.

After 3 alternators, 2 belt tentioners, 5 belts, 1 A/C compressor and many hours later.

Found that the belt the computer (from the auto parts store) stated it needed was INCORRECT.

Went with a shorter belt (per GM's specs on how long the serp belt should be) and it was all fine.
(also still fighting with the auto parts store for refund due to their error)

The problem is that NAPA, CHECKERS, O`REILLY, AUTO ZONE, ect.. use the general uni fit app.

They don't always keep the factory spec belt listed. Its best to get the belt numbers from GM with how long the belt truely is and ensure that the belt you buy matches.

Old 11-03-2006, 09:50 PM
lastcoupe is an unknown quantity at this point

ORIGINAL: Chevy Lover

I've found that putting anything on the belt (belt dressing, water, wd40 etc...) is just a temporary fix.
I've almost always used the belt from the dealer.
When I take off the belt, I rotate all the pulleys to see that they spin easily, check that the tensioner actually applys pressure and when I install the new belt, I try to see that all the pulleys are in alignment.

VERY VERY sound advise! Never put ANYTHING on a serpentine belt! You have to make very sure that you don't have ANY leaks up front first. Then clean all of the pulleys (idler,tensioner,water pump,alternator p/s pump and a/c compressor) with a good brake cleaner and allow them to dry thoroughly. Then put your new belt (get a G.M. replacement)on and double check that the alignment is straight on all of the pulleys.

Old 11-04-2006, 09:36 AM
BrokenBlazr is an unknown quantity at this point

Here we go....
And first I do want to say....thanks to everyone for their input and help!
Yesterday I replaced the belt (napa) and no squeak. Left it outside this morning and started it (34 degrees)....NO squeak!
I went with the napa belt since that was what I had been using and it would allow me to have something to compair it with. How long will it last....time will tell.

I stopped by a shop and asked questions yesterday....the guy kind of made fun of me for spending so much money when they could have fixed it for less....he wanted to use spray brake cleaner!

The way I see it, the blazer is 10 years old and changing the idler pulley and tensioner assembly, I just did some preventative maintenance!

Thanks all again.....love this forum!

Old 11-04-2006, 10:00 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Congrats on the successful repair! Yeah, it's not too bad of an idea to change the idler & tensioner if they are suspect. I too have had the belt squeal on my Bravada right after I bought it. It started to do it only when raining outside, but progressed to all of the time. A new gatorback belt (use these exclusively for the supercharger belt on my Bonneville) and all has been well for over a year and a half now.