General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

!!!Help need INFO !!! Water Pump/Fan Clutch

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2006, 09:53 PM
Starting Member
2klt is an unknown quantity at this point
Default !!!Help need INFO !!! Water Pump/Fan Clutch

Okay this is gonna sound like a stupid q, yeah Iknow no such thing is a stupid q, this is the exceptioin. Finished changing the water pump finally today as in got it all back together between rains etc..
When I started it Fan Clutch in not turning at all. Now I thought that it woudl at least spin a littlel bit NO?

Also still have the water coming from the tail pipe. 1 drip every two seconds when I came in to post this. Also clean water right now NO COOLant yet till I knew that everyting was tight, not leaks etc... But I dont think that condensation would have formed and started to blow out this fast from starting the engine

Right now I have a bottle of flush in there letting it heat up then will drain and flush again... BUT I don't want to put the coolant in with those drips from the tail pipe until I confirm what it is..

Please give me some feedback as to the possiblities of the proble and source of water @ exhaust... Head gasket etc... ANY and ALL that someone might think or that might not usually be considered

Thank you very much... gotta run back out to the LT and see what is up!!!!

Went out fan was still not turning and it had only been idleing up till then Gave it some pedal a couple times and wap, through the belt! I also forgot to mention that I didn't put the shroud back on because 1. mainly to get to the drain plug on the rad. easier to drain before refilling with the Dex-Cool if I did. and 2. to heat the engine up faster to run the flush through it..

Have to go rethread the belt and see if it will go without taking that damn fan clutch back off....
BTW... anyone ever put a straight fan on without the clutch or ELECTRIC FAN? I always ****canned the clutch fans I have had and put a solid mount on and bolted the fan to it and off I went.. NEVER had any problem with anything either mechcanically or function/performance, i.e. over heating etc..
Hope to hear back from some of you before it gets dark here... on the west coast..
thanks

Old 04-02-2006, 10:19 PM
Starting Member
2klt is an unknown quantity at this point
Default RE: !!!Help need INFO !!! Water Pump/Fan Clutch

Rethreaded and running, belt had (I think) got ahold of the air pump hose that was ty wrapped to the shroud. tied it off to the lower hose till i put the shroud back on. at any rate, I would still like to hear what the water from the exhaust might be especially oddball ones that are not the first things that come to mind like the head gasket thing etc... new water pump is on and seems to be alright but will go check for leaks again as I really didn't have a chance from when the belt went...
tia

Old 04-02-2006, 11:37 PM
blazingsadle is an unknown quantity at this point
Default RE: !!!Help need INFO !!! Water Pump/Fan Clutch

Bet that water from the tailpipe is nothing. A drip is not coming from an engine at the far end. I'v seen it come from heads through the tailpipe but it was not a drip. Steam is more like it. Its just too hot to make it as a drop of water all the way from there. It rained and it condensated. Try finding a way to make sure that gravity lets the water out before it holds long enough to become a drip. Even worse if it backs up doesnt fall out cause it'll rust the muffler.

As far a doing away with fan clutch. YES, if you stand the noise of say an aluminum flex fan, they work great and will only cut of a couple of fingers when you get close? Heck, even standing still they seem sharp, too sharp. never get plastic or fiberglass, they tear up too easy.

A better way is to simply install an electric fan. Much nicer, quiet and works. Be sure to add the tems sensor kit with relay for turn on automatically. Simply wonderful and wont cut your fingers and make you buy a new amp to drown out the noise.